Meyer Mystery?!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bowen012, Nov 3, 2013.

1. bowen012

bowen012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    [​IMG][​IMG]

These photos make her look a little lighter than she really is. Breed thoughts? She was a free chick by way of the Meyer Meal Maker. Relatively dark red. She has some black(ish) feathers in her tail. Also relatively small/thin compared to other chicks bought at the same time (Marans, Rock, Faverolles) - The only chick from the order that she's bigger than, is a buff laced polish pullet.

Assuming she's something along the lines of a comet, rhode island red, red sex link, whatever. I've never had any of those breeds so only speculating and for pure curiosity, I'd really like to know what she is...

Thanks...

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

She is probably a Production Red which is commonly regarded as a "Rhode Island Red" in some hatcheries, they can also be known as Cherry Eggers. Production Reds are usually crossed with an RIR and New Hampshire Red but some hatcheries do claim that they also mix in Leghorns and other breeds to make them have better egg production.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2

She might also just be a production New Hampshire if the black is at the tail fringe only and she is more auburn than deeper brown-red.

Lady of McCamley

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Meyer doesn't offer a Production Red hybrid bird. She's either a hatchery-quality New Hampshire Red or hatchery-quality Rhode Island Red. What color was she as a chick? If she was more blonde, then she's a NHR. If she was more red, then RIR.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

She's a production red, which is a hatchery version of a RIR. Most don't like to call them RIR when they are so far from the standard..

[​IMG]
    True RIR

[​IMG]
    Production red

6. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I guess I think of Production Reds as being like the Cherry Eggers of the world--production bred red chickens that are a mix of breeds. Whereas hatchery RIR are just that--hatchery quality birds. Kind of like the difference between a hatchery Buff Orpington and a breeder-bred BO--the hatchery birds don't look much like a real BO, but they are still considered Orps. My Murray McMurray RIR rooster was almost as dark as the true RIR above, although his body shape was only so-so. Man, those heritage RIR are gorgeous birds--thanks for the eye-candy photo.

7. aoxa

I find the heritage RIR people are picky with people using the term RIR for something that had something bred into them to increase egg production. Kind of like the Ameraucana/EE debate.

What would be nice is to see hatcheries improving their quality.. or at least calling it what it is. So many barred rocks have leghorn blood from hatcheries now as well.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I wholeheartedly agree. I bought some Barred Rocks from Meyer this fall--started pullets--and I swear, they are as light-bodied as my RSL. And I was planning to cross them with my Marans rooster and put the boys in the meat pen, too. Guess that plan is a non-starter.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  9. aoxa

[​IMG]
    Look at the difference between the two strains I own.. Craziness.. I have one rooster left from the hatchery strain. He is such a good boy he is staying here with the layers...

[​IMG]
    Posting this for type comparison rather than barring. My above hen isn't the clearest barring, but has one of the best types I have.

[​IMG]
    Heritage Rock male (16 weeks)

[​IMG]
    Hatchery (almost a year)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by