Meyer's "make a meal" mystery chick

I'd love to see pics of her if you have any.
Will definitely try! Maybe this weekend.

I would be happy to have another chicken and give away some eggs
I will have too many eggs come spring. I was attempting to see what donation guidelines are for my area food banks, but can’t find anything definitive for my state! Seems there’s quite a range of requirements depending on locale.

It looks like they have an awful lot of Golden Laced Wyandottes left for next week.
Not sure which chicks are showing in excess on the “currently available” page necessarily means that’s the breed they send. Fairly certain there were no barred rocks left early on, on my ship date. Also barred rocks seem pretty prevalent on that list from previous batches ... you might get one of those!

Not sure which chicks are showing in excess on the “currently available” page necessarily means that’s the breed they send. Fairly certain there were no barred rocks left early on, on my ship date. Also barred rocks seem pretty prevalent on that list from previous batches ... you might get one of those!

That would be great! I don't have one of those yet.

Meyer's has what they call the MM breed of the week, usually a Golden Buff, and you can ask for a pullet and not a roo. My first MM was a Golden Buff, but my second was a Black Australorp. When I questioned them as to why I got the BA, when the MM was supposed to be a GB, I was told that the person packing your order makes the decision as they pack your order.

Meyers is a decent hatchery, but figure in advance that a "free, make-a-meal" chick is gonna be male. It's a matter of economics ... and females sell.

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=MMMF
"What will my Meyer Meal Maker be? We will include a free extra chick that is similar to what is already on your order. Example: If you ordered all female layers, we send another female layer. Same goes if you order all meat birds - we would send a meat bird."

That's a quote directly from Meyers' website, so I would hope it's accurate!

https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=MMMF
"What will my Meyer Meal Maker be? We will include a free extra chick that is similar to what is already on your order. Example: If you ordered all female layers, we send another female layer. Same goes if you order all meat birds - we would send a meat bird."

That's a quote directly from Meyers' website, so I would hope it's accurate!
One can hope! But there's also the quote that only guarantees a 90% accuracy with vent-sexing. Fingers crossed! :fl :D

It's hatch day and their website says the meal maker this week is a Barred Rock or RIR. I'm excited to have either one of those in the flock since I don't have either yet. Can't wait until they arrive!!

Hope its a Barred Rock. The RiR are alright, I guess - they have their uses, but of the two, I think I prefer the BR.

I've always been a sucker for redheads 😂 but I think my boys would prefer the BR as well. We were picking apples last weekend and went to visit the chickens and they were all pretty mad at me that we don't have a striped chicken. Yet. I showed them the goats we also don't have. Yet. Can't wait to see who shows up tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom