Meyers vs. My pet chicken

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
Everywhere, anywhere, in your yard
I want to order some chicks spring but I am undecided whether to order from my pet chicken or Meyer's both have the breeds I want and seem to be good hatcheries but I want to know your opinions
thanks for the help everyone

I have never ordered from My Pet Chicken and I have only ordered from Meyer once but I ordered 25. They sent 27 and all 27 survived to adulthood. They were true to the breeds they were supposed to be and I have several of their offspring who are also healthy and look exactly like their parents.

I ordered 5 Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets.
10 Speckled Sussex pullets
And 10 Speckled Sussex straight run. Ended up with 4 roosters.

I have never ordered from My Pet Chicken and I have only ordered from Meyer once but I ordered 25. They sent 27 and all 27 survived to adulthood. They were true to the breeds they were supposed to be and I have several of their offspring who are also healthy and look exactly like their parents.

I ordered 5 Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets.
10 Speckled Sussex pullets
And 10 Speckled Sussex straight run. Ended up with 4 roosters.
Nice do they always send extra?

As mentioned, many of the breeds on My Pet Chicken are sourced from Meyer stock. I have ordered from both and was overall pleased. For some reason, this year, the same breed on My Pet Chicken as on Meyer might be a dollar or two less (I’m looking at you white sport Legbar). Two years ago I got a Jubilee Orpington from Meyer that died a few days after receiving, that might have been from a vitamin deficiency in the egg, but that’s a big maybe. All chicks from both places have arrived alive and apparently healthy.

I just received an order from Meyer on the 13th. They offer a free “meal maker” chick and low minimum chick requirement, major reasons I went with them. (Along with breed selection of course) I am absolutely tickled with the experience with Meyer. So far the chicks are thriving beautifully! I had just told someone they would be my go-to for chicks going forward. And the week I ordered, the meal maker chicks offered were Legbars and Blue Orpingtons.

I just received an order from Meyer on the 13th. They offer a free “meal maker” chick and low minimum chick requirement, major reasons I went with them. (Along with breed selection of course) I am absolutely tickled with the experience with Meyer. So far the chicks are thriving beautifully! I had just told someone they would be my go-to for chicks going forward. And the week I ordered, the meal maker chicks offered were Legbars and Blue Orpingtons.
Nice and they let you choose your meal maker huh when I look they said hatcheries choice I wonder if you get to choose at checkout 🤔

I've ordered from Meyer and love them! I ordered from My Pet Chicken this spring and was absolutely horrified by how they packed my chicks. The box was so stuffed that there was only a very small opening for chicks. When I opened my box the 3 chicks I saw were wedged shoulder to shoulder with absolutely no room to move...oh and did I mention that since it was only March they required me to order 8 minimum so stacked underneath those 3 chicks that were wedged in were the 5 other chicks. All 5 that were stacked below died within the first 24 hours. I have never seen a box of chicks packed so horribly. When I ordered form Meyer it was just as cold and the chicks were packed perfectly all arriving chipper and healthy. Go with Meyer.

Nice and they let you choose your meal maker huh when I look they said hatcheries choice I wonder if you get to choose at checkout 🤔
They don't let you choose the meal maker, but they list on their website which breeds they sent out that week. Mine was also a blue Orpington, but I believe I got a male instead of a female so he will be needing a new home.

Back
Top Bottom