MF ratios and what are my options?

Is there anything I should look out for in my cleaned and dressed quail, that might mark it as not ok to eat meat?? Like, are there any obvious signs of parasites or anything that I should look out for? They had no signs of illness while they were alive and the meat LOOKS clean?
As long as you aren't planning to eat the meat raw, I don't think there is anything to worry about. Ours go in the freezer, which also helps address some parasites.

We are struggling with 3 roos that we accidentally made into pets (after culling 10) and it's true - we are trying to decide whether we get rid of all 3, or keep one (I want to get more white genes into my little flock) and we're going to have to figure out how to manage culling our little buddies (I was certain the two new ones were hens!) But you are absolutely right - nobody is happy, and there is a lot of chasing and pecking that clearly adds to the stress of the flock.

Yeah, that’s hard, once you’ve already started seeing them as buddies. It helped me to realise I was forcing my own social values onto a flock of birds that really don’t give a damn about each other, to be honest! These guys are brutal with each other, they’d peck their own mum to death the second she broke a nail. My one remaining male is a proud big silver guy, the one whose genes I’d most like to keep. And peace reigns on the covey; they are all twittering away and relaxed, there’s an immediate and visible difference in the overall wellbeing level in there. Good luck with your roos!

Husband got up before me and murdurated the two asshole roos for me (I feel bad, one was his particular buddy) and we're going to wait and see if the last one behaves. God bless him, he knows that I empathize too much with the birds, and was taking on the stress of these roosters.

The relief among the hens was palpable. I mean, everybody is just waaay calmer.

Husband got up before me and murdurated the two asshole roos for me (I feel bad, one was his particular buddy) and we're going to wait and see if the last one behaves. God bless him, he knows that I empathize too much with the birds, and was taking on the stress of these roosters.

Awww, what a good guy that husband of yours is! You’ll probably find your last roo gives you no trouble now; seems once they are the lone king of the harem, they have no reason to be assholes anymore!

My new roo Dirty Harry, has started being a jerk. Just riling up the others, no injuries yet, but like you said, the tension was palpable. I haven’t done the deed yet, but he’s in a bin on the porch eating his last meal as I type. I only kept him because I wanted someone fertile in the grow out so I can fill my new incubator, but I guess his contributions will last a few days, then I’ll bring another roo from the main pen in for a couple days to re-up their fertility, by then I think the Egyptian will be performing, so problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom