MG in 8 wk silkie rooster

Cherissa

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2020
Hi all. I posted re my silkie rooster a while back. The eye frothing cleared up but has returned to both eyes. He is otherwise asymptomatic. No nasal drainage, coughing, sneezing. No failure to thrive. No weakness or lethargy.I’ve isolated him from the flock, given him Vet RX by mouth and applied to his head and nares with a diluted preparation per instructions. Aside from bringing him to the vet and treating with antibiotics, is there anything else I can do? No other chickens in my flock have any symptoms. Could it be mycoplasma or just an allergy? Thanks!

Attachments

• 68434670-ACCB-44DB-8D01-502B1B301BD9.jpeg
    68434670-ACCB-44DB-8D01-502B1B301BD9.jpeg
    405.1 KB · Views: 10
Hi all. I posted re my silkie rooster a while back. The eye frothing cleared up but has returned to both eyes. He is otherwise asymptomatic. No nasal drainage, coughing, sneezing. No failure to thrive. No weakness or lethargy.I’ve isolated him from the flock, given him Vet RX by mouth and applied to his head and nares with a diluted preparation per instructions. Aside from bringing him to the vet and treating with antibiotics, is there anything else I can do? No other chickens in my flock have any symptoms. Could it be mycoplasma or just an allergy? Thanks!
Bubbles in both eyes would be a good indication of Mycoplasma.
You could bet testing done to find out what it is.
Flush the eyes with saline, remove pus/bubbles/debris and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin to see if that helps.
An antibiotic like Tylosin may help clear it up any infection if it's MG, but I'm sure you have already researched and found that antibiotics are not a cure and that birds with MG are carriers for life and can become symptomatic throughout their life.

Yea, I hate it. I’m not sure where it came from but at this point, have likely contaminated my whole flock. This little guy came with 4 others that are 100% fine. I’ll research the eye ointment and do my best to keep all the chickens well. Can I reintroduce him if his eyes are clear for a couple days?

Yea, I hate it. I’m not sure where it came from but at this point, have likely contaminated my whole flock. This little guy came with 4 others that are 100% fine. I’ll research the eye ointment and do my best to keep all the chickens well. Can I reintroduce him if his eyes are clear for a couple days?
That would be up to you whether he's ready to be reintroduced or not.

Back
Top Bottom