MG?

PippinTheChicken

🧡🤍💙
Mar 19, 2021
UK
My Coop
My Coop
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Silkie, around 10 months old. She's normal weight although she's my smallest silkie.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
one eye is a bit droopy and has a few bubbles, the other eye is normal.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Just noticed today but I'm not sure

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
not at all

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
she was broody before for a few weeks and I finally broke her. She's also not so high on the pecking order.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
normal mixed feed, scraps, and today, suet cakes (but I noticed before she ste them)

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
normal. Solid, and brown (slightly greeny from her broodiness) with the white part

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
nothing yet

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
depending what it is I can take her to a vet

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
bottom of the post

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
hemp

IMG-20220313-WA0097.jpeg

Her other eye is normal, wide and shiny. This one is just squinted a bit.

Just now I checked and there aren't any bubbles. She's just squinted

General care would be to flush the eye with saline, see if there's any debris, dirt, etc. in the eye, flush it out good. Apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye 2-3 times a day.

The tissue on that side of her face looks a bit dry or possibly she has some dirt on there?
Look her over for lice/mites. Hopefully she got something in her eye, she scratched it or maybe got pecked and this is not the start of something like respiratory illness.

The bubbles or foam can be a sign of mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) The bubbles can come and go. I would clean the eye as Wyorp Rock advised. You could consider getting some Tylan 50 at a feed store or Tylosin powder online to treat for MG.
I thought this but the bubbles are only in one eye.

I thought this but the bubbles are only in one eye.
It doesn't seem to matter if it's only one eye or not. Many folks that have MG+ flocks only saw one eye affected.
I would keep it cleaned out and monitor her for other symptoms. Giving an antibiotic as suggested may also be helpful.

Raven is completely normal today. I inspected here eyes and they're as clear as day, and she's acting fine. This has happened to her before, it's probably her beard.

Back
Top Bottom