MHP Construction ideas needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rick&Chris, Sep 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    CF29083E-144B-412C-9E51-745BEADA9B25.jpeg
    I just used the cheapy heat lamp at TSC and attached a thermoregulator and just checked my set temp every day. Easy peasy. Lamp at recommended 18 inches of height. No fire issues. The cage covers the bulb so nothing can touch it. Worked safe and well for me and much less expensive.

Rick&Chris likes this.
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Measuring 'chick heat' when using a pad or plate is not the same as when using a lamp.
    With a lamp you put a thermometer in different places on the floor of the brooder, with a pad that is ineffective. Pad needs to be at a height that chicks can touch their backs right against it, and why easily adjustable legs are really nice to have. Pad being at angle, higher in front and lower at back, helps chicks pick a spot that's right for them as some can have different needs and can be different sizes. Then you go by chick behavior to adjust the heat setting and pad height. FYI, my pad is about 110-120°F on the surface when measured with an infrared thermometer...the commercial plates are about the same from what I've read from folks who have measured in the same manner.

Maybe you are unfamiliar with the topic of this thread, the whole point to using a pad or plate is to greatly reduce the fire hazards of chick heating and provide a light and dark cycle daily-which is healthier for the chicks in the long run. A lamp and fixture might cost less up front, but the power consumption is more than a pad or plate.
    The shade gets hot too....and the power connection inside the brooder is not a great idea either(or is that because of the TR?)...can't see how lamp is supported.
    As much as I dislike continuing an off topic conversation I must ask.....
    Do you have a link to the Thermo-Regulator you used?
    Does it turn the lamp on and off, or does it dim it?

HCBeck likes this.
  3. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I am familiar with the products you discussed as reviewed all before using myself. If the owner who started the thread hadn’t purchased the heating pad or plate yet then this is another option. There is more than one way to skin a cat safely and cost effectively so to speak.

In answer to your questions. The thermometer has to be set inside the brooder at chick height or it can not measure temperature accurately. The TR turns the lamp off and on to control the temp you set. It is very accurate. You place the pole on one side with lamp attached so the chicks have room to heat themselves and move away from the heat when need to cool themselves. Since the light is on a control it does not use much power as it is not on all the time unless needed to control heat. Less is used obviously as you wean the control temp.

I don’t have the link for the TR as we already owned ours. The brand is LUXPRO PSP 300. Any model would be fine as long as you can control set temp and measure simultaneously. You just plug the lamp to it then plug in any outlet. The TR reads set and actual temp all the time. I would worry more about a product that you are placing against a chick that can get to over a 100 degrees. 90-95 max in the brooder first week. Just an option.

This was less expensive and perfectly safe for us because we owned everything but lamp and bulb. There is nothing in this case that holds heat in direct contact with the chick. We controlled external light source ie: room lighting to give them a sense of night and day. Ours did very well and cost me $8.00 for the lamp and $2-4 for the one bulb all you will need. I used the 250 red bulb recommended for the lamp.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  4. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    My apologies if this is off topic, I’ll let you get back to your MHP construction discussion.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  5. Birdinhand

Birdinhand Crowing

May 23, 2016
    overhead heat where the chick can make direct contact with the radiant source is best with it on an angle so they have a temperature gradient. they quickly learn how to adjust as needed as they do under their mom. heat lamps are a too much/not enough scenario. heating pad below can lead to issues, at least in the first few days. after a bit they will all sit on top most of the time, but don't let that fool you into thinking they don't need overhead in the beginning and the ability to choose ongoingly.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Each year I seem to set up my MHP slightly different. It depends on the time of year and where I start brooding.
    This year I hatched chicks, so my "brooder" was in the house for a couple of days. I just used my wire "frame" to begin with. I didn't really have room for my adjustable wood frame. In the photo below, I had just replaced the puppy pads and had not tucked the towel back under yet - you do have to make sure there are no gaps since chicks like to crawl between layers. Chicks are 2 days old.

upload_2018-9-22_10-53-54.png

Outside, I use a wood frame with wire to support the heating pad and towels. I can raise the wood dowels to make it higher, if needed. I also keep an extra bag of shavings - they make a great insulator to keep heat in. It ain't pretty, but it works for me:D

upload_2018-9-22_10-58-22.png

I get mine outside as soon as possible!! Even when it's cold. Last photo the nights were dipping back in the 20s and it was windy. When it's like this, I make sure to have wind protection. I made sure there was extra bedding inside the cave (back of cave is always open so no one gets stuck), then I piled extra shavings on top, then I covered the hole thing with an old towel. I let the towel drape over the front to help with wind blocking. That morning the temp was 25F, as you can see, they don't seem to be phased at all - they can run underneath if they wish, but usually spend most of the day on TOP of the MHP. They are around 8-10 days old here.

upload_2018-9-22_11-3-41.png

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    "Setting Range 45°F to 90°F" Wonders what you set it at...and if you test measure temp on brooder floor under lamp and away from it?? Must be a bit tricky to get it set 'right'. Not sure the light going on and off is effective...and might be annoying. I use a dimmer extension cord to adjust heat when I use 100W red incandescent reptile bulbs in lamps.

A broody hen is about 106°F. Pad doesn't hurt my skin when I hold it to my skin, some of the plates can burn tho.

Unless you already had the LUXPRO PSP 300, a pad would be less expensive.

8. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    Yes we used a second thermometer to test intermittently the cool side and the warm side for accuracy just because we wanted to test accuracy and difference on each side of brooder. It stayed within 5 degrees cool to warm side of each other in 8 sq ft setting. Some heating pads are equally expensive. There are some that are cheaper of course. So first week we did 95 with height then switched to TR quickly as we found after couple days chicks mostly running around. We weaned every 5-7 days per recommendation and chicks behavior. There are other models that will go higher for set temp. Nothing annoying but I would hate to have to wash all those towels you guys are using with the pad. Not tricky at all. It regulates exactly what you set it at and go. Dimmer nice thought. I don’t know how you would hook up a dimmer? Probably nice but unnecessary. I’m sure either set up with monitoring of the chicks will work. It’s all in what you embrace and have on hand.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just plugs right inline with lamp, slide button to right temp.
    I don't use towels.
    [​IMG]

10. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I wouldn’t use coverings either because it’s my understanding that the chick is supposed to be allowed direct contact without use of coverings. I think they think it is a roost. Lol :loveI read that the product should not be in direct contact with pine shavings as could be combustible and it is advised to use above the shavings or on its side. I’m sticking with my cheapy lamp :oops: but I think the chicks will learn to use any source of heat. Thankfully chicks are pretty smart and know what to do. I’m sure the different thoughts on set up help tremendously to others. Use of any product correctly with monitoring provides safety. I love seeing the different set ups.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: