MHP Construction ideas needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rick&Chris, Sep 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    A heating pad works fine with coverings, many have used them with success, I just don't like dealing with them and they can become tangled in them. They do use the top as jungle gym and lounging spot during the day, but go under at night to sleep.

RainSong.LMT and Melky like this.
  2. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    You saved money , but you have a 250 watt bulb on cardboard ,or pretty darn close, I’d say you got by this time, but paper and heat lamps shouldn’t be anywhere near each other .

And ditto aart hydro bills are higher on heat lamp , I use mine when I have more the 10 chicks , it gives a nice big heated area for them .

3. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    This is what I use , I’d caution everyone to make sure there are no little places for chicks to get caught.

I had a pillow case over my heating pad , then it lay on the cool rack one side up one side down ... my little baby got caught in the open end of the pillow case .... after that I sewed the case shut over my heating pad .

Works great for 10 of less chicks in my opinion

Wyorp Rock and staceyj like this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That is a drawback to the pad/plates....capacity.
    The plates statements on how many chicks is as bad as the prefab coops.
    I did 16 under my 12x24 pad, but it was tight, by the time the were weaned from heat they were hanging out from under the sides.

Another drawback I found was being able to lay eyes on the chicks without having to 'rebuild' the pad assembly...glad mine is finally easy to lift and put back down without it coming apart....have found a couple that died under there.

staceyj and snow5164 like this.
  5. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

I think I am 100% overthinking this baby chick process! My babies come in 2 days!! I really want to do the MHP for the heat source, but am now rethinking it (again) due to the possibility that the babies could get entangled in the coverings. Can I do the heating pad with no covering and maybe a piece of cardboard on top?

Also, we live in PA - when is the right time to move them to the coop? Nov/Dec can be in the 40s and 50s - sometimes colder and sometimes warmer.

snow5164 likes this.
  6. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Yes you can leave it uncovered ,I sewed on a pillow case , and I lay a small tea towel on top each day , they poop a lot ...

If you have a cooling rack just lay the pad on top , I have even placed the heating pad on top of a cardboard box and inside it ...

You’ll be fine the first batch is the most stressful...just set it up ,and check them often

Have fun

Post pictures of what you’ve got so far if you’d feel better

They need their feathers to control their body heat , first they get wing feathers , tails , back then head ... they’ll look so silly but you’ll know when all the baby fluff is gone .

If you can have the heat out there they can go anytime .

And just my opinion but a heat lamp is not a bad idea I use them most of the time and have had no issues , just use a chain to securely hang it and I place a broom handle threw the hook across my brooder box and duct tape it down , it’s held up two ways .... it’s been used for 100’s of years

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Why, yes...yes, you can!

8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I left the cover on (as the pad by itself felt rather toasty) but Glad Press n Sealed the entire thing well so there were no openings. After being in use 3 or 4 weeks, it showed no signs of wear and tear.

9. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

That is sad to hear (and another fear)! Did they get trapped or overheated?

10. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    I’m not sure what happened to aarts chicks but It’s important to leave a few different exits for the chicks , they can stampede and run over the others .

You really can’t understand how helpless they are till you watch them , they will get stuck in a corner , walk away from the others and not know how to get back . They really need guidance.

Just place the rack away from the walls .. my tea towel hangs over the edges so they can hide but still run out if necessary.

One more day til chicks :):):)

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: