Miami Township-Clermont County, Ohio--Any current or wannabe chicken owners?

Are your chickens legal or 'under the radar?

• Yes, my chickens are legal!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No, chickens? Who me? What chickens?

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
This thread is older, so I am wondering if you guys ever got any traction? I'm guessing not, since the zoning regulations I have read still talks about 5 acres. I have chickens "under the radar" and would be very much interested in signing this petition and joining the group of you in having this ordinance changed in Miami twp.

I'm pretty sure I pass your property every day to and from work -- it is such a delight! I really struggle with wrapping my head around how anyone could regulate or be against individuals leveraging their own space and "urban" farming. The pride that comes with such is so far beyond what most people invest into their yard space.

At any rate, I am looking to create a very similar space on my lot and currently have chickens. I would love to join with other members of the community who would like to push for change in our zoning and ordinances in Miami twp.

My family is considering a move to Miami Townshio and I would bel interested in helping promote a zoning change to allow chickens. If we move forward with a purchase there I'll be happy to be part of supporting the process. I can't take on the responsibility of chickens now but would like to in a few years :)

Anyone have any updates on the status of being able to keep chickens legally in Miami Twp? I know there have been several staff changes with the twp, and just wondered if that has had a positive (or negative)effect on the regulations. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hoping the mindset had improved from when the earlier posts were added - I went into the office and was very nastily told that only 5 acres or more could have chickens in Miami Township.

Not wanting to be snarky (okay I did after talking to them) - I told them Hyde Park and Montgomery allow chickens and frankly Miami Township wasn't that fancy.

None the less - we will be looking elsewhere for a lot. For us and 3 girls.

Good luck Miami Township - if you can't have chickens less than a mile from the Castrucci Ford section of Route 28 or Dollar General on 131 --- you are doomed to a life of ticky tack box homes of suburbia.

I am bummed. I really liked the lot on Teakwood.

We are also interested in joining the fight for chickens in Miami Township. Amazes me that my neighbors can keep a dog IN A CAGE in their backyard and the township refuses to get involved, but I can't have chickens in a coop in my backyard? Why can my neighbors have garbage on their porch for weeks, gutters falling off their house, cars that don't work in their yard, but my house, the most well-maintained home on our street, cannot have a chicken coop. My parents live in Montgomery, and if they are allowed chickens, I find it absolutely ridiculous that Miami Township is above allowing chickens. END RANT.

Hi everyone, there is currently a house bill going through the process of becoming law that, to the best of my understanding, will supersede the local laws. it is HB 175!

Back
Top Bottom