Miami Township-Clermont County, Ohio--Any current or wannabe chicken owners?

Are your chickens legal or 'under the radar?

• Yes, my chickens are legal!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No, chickens? Who me? What chickens?

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
That is wonderful news!!!! Would love to know when they are going to discuss so we could offer community support. I'll try to keep on eye on the zoning meeting announcements/agendas found on the township website.

I also am interested in this, would love to attend the zoning meeting.
Had the pleasure (insert sarcasm) of dealing with the Zoning Board for a variance. Was not pleasant! Jo & Lou were beyond helpful. My variance was in relation to the safety of a special needs child, had support of my neighbors, some who were there in person. The conditions they proposed to grant the variance were ridiculous. After $200.00 for application, addressing the board in tears and literally begging I got my variance with a stupid stipulation. We have until July to comply with stipulation, once we get our final inspection and get a passing grade I will feel more comfortable expounding on this.
Would love to have chickens, hens only also, for eggs but until we pass our inspection cannot go under the radar.

Hey guys, I know it's really late notice but I just got a reply from a candidate running for Trustee. Here is our correspondance and I believe he will be a great assest to our cause. I went into the zoning a few wks ago and got the run around. I was not happy. I was told that the county was afraid of crazy chicken people starting huge operations. I then told them that Milford is also in Clermont County and has not had any issues. Then I was told they might..might...look at it in January- AFTER the elections so as not to rile any feather- pun intended- and make one or more lose their current seat. I say- lose the seat and get a real person in there, not some career politician.

Here's my facebook post:

If anyone is heading to the polls to vote for Miami Township's Trustees, I suggest you take a look at Michael Collins. I read about him in the Milford/Miami Township Advertiser and wrote him asking if he'd help get Miami Township zoned like Milford is to allow chickens. He is running as a Trustee "for the people."
http://www.electmichaelcollins.com/

I appreciated his thoughtful reply. Here part of our correspondence. (He brought up the goat that one boy had wanted to keep that helped him with a mental issue. I know several neighbors who would like to keep goats. As one friend put it "They don't bark and they don't bite." I didn't mention goats but I like his idea of ust making sure there is a nuisance law. If they don't cause a noxious noise or smell, who cares? )

Hello Mr. Collins,
I was intrigued when I read your bio on the front page of the Milford/Miami Advertiser and was impressed when I read your take on fiscal responsibility and focusing on the things that really matter: fire/ems/police.
My sister and I own a small business in Miami Township and grew up in Milford. I believe the township has had abundant growth and the trustee leadership has spent too much time and money on "floofy," things for all these new young families and therefore the Trustees have stepped over their bounds. Community involvement in bonfires and concerts is great, but the bill should not be forced upon taxpayers. This is beyond the bounds of proper government. I think you will address these issues and I'm glad to see you were as appalled as we were when we read of the $275,000 for one acre of land. One acre?
However, my reason for writing you is to discuss a zoning change I was told would be put on the ballot this fall but now it is being put off until "after the elections." ( I was told that citations would also be put off until after the elections... I am not in favor of this kind of backdoor government.)
The short story is: My family and I, as well as many friends and neighbors- good, law abiding citizen- are concerned with the food at the grocery store and want to take back our freedom to
know where our food comes from. We would like to start with simply having backyard chickens but current zoning does not allow for them however, just down in Milford, they are allowed.This may not sound important to many people but for those of us who are trying to have less of an impact on the environment and be more self sufficient, the best place for everyone to start is by growing their own chickens for eggs.
I do not want to take up too much of your time, but I went to the zoning commissioner last spring and was told that there are requests every week from Miami Township citizens wanting to be allowed to have chickens. Currently, every city surround Miami Township allows them, including Milford, Indian Hill, and Madeira.
I was told if I, as a citizen, wanted to get a zoning change, it would cost me out of pocket $1200. That's a lot of eggs. But, if I waited, the township would bring it up and pass a zoning amendment themselves this fall.
I told this to many of my friends, neighbors, and clients who are all in favor of allowing these simple creatures to be grown in Miami Township. However, I went into the zoning office a couple weeks ago and was told that the Clermont County Health Dept had issues with the zoning change and wondered how they would curb the onslaught of "crazy people having giant chicken farms." This person obviously did not understand that just a mile down the street, people have chickens on 1/8 acre lots and you don't even know they are there and Milford, as far as I know, has not had one complaint. I was told it 'might' go on the ballot in January, maybe later. I would love to get my chickens this spring!
This is where I am hoping you might be able to bring sanity and less government intrusion into our lives. All we want is a few chickens that cause absolutely no trouble, are less noisy than dogs, and help in uncertain times to provide a healthy food source.
I know you will have much on your plate but I would love to cast my vote for someone who believes in less government and would vote for zoning changes that would allow for more freedom to Miami Township citizens.
Thank you for your time. If you have a moment, you can look over the below link. 4 yrs ago, the citizens of Montgomery Township fought to allow backyard chickens and they produced this invaluable document. In it you will find current zoning laws about chickens in our surrounding areas. Here is the list. http://www.scribd.com/doc/16509728/Changing-Your-Citys-Chicken-Laws

Leah Svensson and Michelle:

I regret that I have not gotten back to you sooner of your inquiry on 30 October. With Halloween and then the storm damage to many of my campaign yard signs and the mailing we did over the weekend I have not checked my e-mail as frequently as ready needed. With that said – let’s get to your question.

I recall a few years back that a child wanted to keep a goat in his backyard and in that he had some sort of illness – something more mental than physical – the healthcare professionals felt the goat was therapeutic to the child. Turned out the township made a settlement with the family that the goat was allowed to stay for the therapeutic reasons.

Personally I believe this township exists for the residents whom own part of an acre or more of the property within. Without residents – there would be no grocery store, gas station, dry cleaners and the like and thus no township and government of such. The township should do what the residents want and the elected officials should carry out the residents’ wishes.

I have a few neighbors that have dogs and they bark most of the day. I do not appreciate that and I believe there is law on problematic barking dogs but I do not exercise such and request that it be enforced. Chickens don’t BARK. However – I own property in Goshen Township at the O’Bannon Creek Airpark – a 14 lots community built around a common runway. Everyone owns 1/14th of the runway. Don’t need the runway – I am a commercial helicopter pilot and am building a 50x80 aircraft hanger for my three helicopters. The entire Airpark is zoned AG and built on an old apple orchard farm.

One thing I have noticed – is that a neighbor that adjoins the airpark property – not an association member, has chickens and at least one rooster. That rooster crows almost all day – thought they only did that in the morning.

I see the community garden at the Township Civic Center property. And I see no problem with farming livestock – as long as there is not a noise problem like with the dogs I spoke of above. I believe being respectful of the neighbors. I would favor a zoning change in such capacity – with the comments I made – considered in such.

Meanwhile want to keep your chickens at my Airpark property…???

Regarding the election – two seats are up and three candidates are running – I am the non-incumbent. Top two vote getters – get elected. If you just vote for me and do not use the second vote – my chances increase – as you are not putting a vote in one of the incumbents’ column. It is tough to beat an incumbent…!!!

I hope I addressed you question. I did it with sincerity. Residents – the true owners of the Township should be respected.

In closing I am going to ATTACH in WORD format – the recent campaign letter that was mailed to selected voters.

Also ATTACHED in WORD format is a letter I sent to the folks at the Oct 3rd Zoning Board Meeting – the decision will be at the Nov 7th Zoning Board Meeting. I feel to re-zone a mobile home community in Loveland that sits next to a residential community – to re-zone such Mobile Home Community to Industrial – is WRONG – but appears the Township is on course to do it – as the Community Development Director favors the zoning change. Yes I stay active in the doings of the government of the community. ATTACHMENT in WORD format are my thoughts on the zoning issue before the township at present.

And my personal thoughts on the $275,000.00 for an acre of land for the fire station – when the Miami Meadows site exists – I think that was some sort of SWEETHEART deal with the brothers and sisters of the township IN crowd… Your tax dollars at work…!!!

Best Regards,

Candidate Michael Collins

Faithchicks-thanks for sharing all if these details. It's frustrating that they will not look at an amendment with an open mind. Your information was very timely...I hope we can get some fresh ideas on the board!

Team Omlet-if the dark side is under cover, I'm already there! We have almost 2 acres of land, and my coop is clean and attractive (so are my hens). Regulation to take away my rights, instead of enforcement of individuals that are actually causing a problem (aka crazy people with giant chicken farms) is ridiculous!

I hear you chicksomeday. I get complements all the time on my clean and attractive coop. I'm only on a .75 lot in a subdivision and my neighbors are fine with it. The kids all around race to look for eggs after school.

I have left a couple messages and never got a return call. I think emails may be the best way to start asking. At least we would have a record of when they are sent and we call always copy in elected officials if we continue to get no response. You thoughts?............

Back
Top Bottom