Mice and rats found with just the head

CurlyQuail

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Los Angeles, CA, USA
This is the third morning in a row finding just a head. First time it was a mouse, second it was a rat, now it’s a mouse again. Any ideas? If the predator is big enough to get the rats should I be worried about the chickens?

I’ve seen the following around my house
  • Cat
  • Dog
  • Skunk
  • Coyote
  • Owls and hawks
  • Opossum
  • Raccoon
  • Snake
  • I’ve heard of there being red foxes, black bears, and mountain lions in the area but never seen one

If you have a game camera, put it up and then you will probably discover what the predator is. I'm thinking owl and they will kill a chicken. Good luck...

Rodents do draw the predators to a coop. They do more than steal feed and spread disease as eventually the predators figure out that chickens are easier prey. Deal with the reason that you have rats first, clean up your feed storage and get a treadle feeder. Then clean up any pathways that provide the rats cover to and from the coop so the natural predators have a shot at catching them.

Not owls or hawks. Owls swallow mice whole and plus both normally take small prey to the highest tree where they feel safe.

Bears and mt lions would have just swallowed it in one bite.

Rodents do draw the predators to a coop. They do more than steal feed and spread disease as eventually the predators figure out that chickens are easier prey. Deal with the reason that you have rats first, clean up your feed storage and get a treadle feeder. Then clean up any pathways that provide the rats cover to and from the coop so the natural predators have a shot at catching them.
The rats come from a neighbor’s yard, I’ve seen them coming over the fence. Food is also in a locked bin over night.

Back
Top Bottom