Mice and Squirrel Problems

Seeing as we live in a suburban housing development with other people's yards and houses on three sides of us and have less than a quarter of an acre of land, I would definitely classify us as in an area where we cannot safely shoot a gun haha.

I give my animals fermented feed (water + feed) so there is no more waste. The animals gobble it up and "lick" the bowl clean in seconds. No other animal has a chance...not even flies. I bring in the dishes at night and wash them.

Water is not left out.

No food or water in the coop. Period. If there is an extreme circumstance, I will consider putting feed in the coop.

Plants lots of mint! Mice hate the smell of mint. They brush up against the plant, the plant releases the oils, mice say yuk and try to scrape it off. Or something like that.

Poison won't work for squirrels. It just makes them sick. Their digestive system transport time is faster than a rats. So the poison won't stay inside them long enough to kill them.

I saw this bait station in an issue of Farm Show magazine. Am going to give it a try as rats have moved in recently too. Also going to make a modified version to put on the fence the squirrels use as a run.

Tree squirrels are heavily over populated here. Dead ones have been found recently carrying beubonic plague (which they got from a local prairie dog colony). They ate over 3/4 of my berries last year along with getting into the garden until I spent money on netting. Repellent was only mildly useful.

I'm trying some of the home made poisons using baking soda and/or plaster of paris.

Attachments

• pvc bait station.JPG
    pvc bait station.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 6
Traps work really well for ground squirrels here. I’ve neighbors now so 22 or pellet is no longer option. I’ve found the ground squirrels here like the buckeye nuts and so that’s the preferred trap bait. If using snap traps be sure to attach them with a screw to a heavier board otherwise you’ll be getting new ones frequently. Obviously outside the chickens run.

Back
Top Bottom