Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sky king, Nov 10, 2011.
Ok I a mouse or more irk I've saw just one. What is the best way to get them out
I use poison bait set chunks set out in a place where the chickens can't get at it. I use either a coffee can with a hole cut out of the plastic top or one of those 5 gallon paint buckets with a hole in the lid. I put the chunk of bait in the can/bucket, add the lid and set it where the rodents travel. The birds can't get into the bail but the rodents can.
I found out the hard disgusting way that my chickens are great mousers. They grabbed a couple that were scurrying out of my garden and ate them. that being said, if you bait with decon and the chickens eat them (the mice), you just poisoned your chickens. I use decon 98% of the time around my camper and home (I don't own a cat) but I don't use it around my chickens.
x2 regarding the risk of poisioning the chickens. What about getting a cat?
IF in the coop, leave a light on so the chickens can see them, most likely they will take care of the problem. The light is key though because chickens cant see very well in the dark
I use JustOneBite in the buildings next to the coop and where the chickens and dogs cannot access. The bar poisons are simply the best!
I bought a rodent zapper. It's a plastic box that you put four C cell batteries in and bait it with peanut butter. The rodent goes in and gets zapped. Kind of disgusting. But I refuse to do poison. I'm too afraid my girls will get in it.
And the zapper is working. The only drawback is that you have to put it somewhere where it will stay dry.
Okay unfortunately even though you saw it sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference between a rat and a mouse. If the one you saw was young it could possibly be a rat. The reason why I bring this up is it happened to me. I saw what I thought was a mouse at one point and I treated as such. I got mouse traps but, they didn't seem to touch it. Well after a while we had to pull down the part of the chicken coop where we knew they were staying. Well when they fell down it turned out they were rats I just saw a young one.
So my suggestion be treat it like it is a rat and like it is a mouse. If it is a mouse using mouse traps with peanut butter will be sufficient. If it isn't a mouse it won't even temp them. I would also set out decon but, in a place that your chickens can't get ahold of it. I shut off a part of my coop so that the chickens couldn't get in there. Before I let the chickens in I always check to make sure there aren't any pieces of poison on the ground. They are bright turquoise so they are easy to find. Also when they die they will go to water so you will find them near the chickens water bowls. Go out early every morning and dispose of them. I no longer have rats D-con worked really well for us. Also sometimes the rats die before I can get down there in the morning and I have never had a chicken eat one. In fact one time I went down there and my broody hen and a dead rat were laying side by side and she didn't touch it.
Anyway my suggestion to you is take care of it and take of it quick they reproduce quick. The thing is if you have chickens you are gonna have rats or mice trying to move in the key is to evict them as soon as they try because, you don't want them to multiply. If you don't take care of it immediately their waste stinks and they attract snakes. Sorry not meaning to scare you just being honest.
Has this worked for you. I tried this and I never got one to go inside it. Seriously you might want to consider D-con just putting it in a place your chickens can't get it. It is bright blue green so you can check the ground for it every morning when you put the poison up so your chickens can't get ahold of it. Sorry I wouldn't be pushing poison because, I was totally against it to begin with but, then I tried all the other alternatives and they didn't fool them. So in the mean time they were breeding and in the long run I had to use D-con to get rid of them. Honestly probably the longer you wait the more dead rats you are gonna have to carry off.
Actually, you might have much better efficiency with a cake or bar poison than D-con. Rodents tend to pocket the D-Con in their cheeks and store it for eating later...which means they can transport it from your "safe" place to a place your chickens may eventually be exposed. It also means the rodents may not eat it right away, thus having time to breed more replacements before dying.
The bar or cake poisons consist of large blocks of poison that must be gnawed upon in order to get any off it....meaning they ingest it right then and they don't carry pellets that look all the world like pelleted chicken feed into your coops. To a chicken, a pellet is a pellet. The rodents also can't carry the blocks to another location for later eating...unless they are enormously large rats, which are a whole 'nother problem.