mice in coop?

steve&kris

Songster
12 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Pittsburgh
Hi, I have another new chicken owner question.

I know I have a mouse/mice in my coop because I'm seeing droppings (my coop is split into people side and chicken side -- the people side has no bedding on the floor so I can the floor clearly - but there's not doubt the mice can get b/n the two sides). Do mice have any negative affect on chickens, or should I not worry about this?

I would definately get rid of them. Mice carry all kinds of nasty diseases, and will gobble up your chicken feed in no time flat. You may only have a few mice now, but trust me, if left unchecked they will multiply quickly and soon you'll be over run with them. Get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it half full with water. Cover the surface of the water with sunflower seeds and provide a ramp so the mice have access to the bucket. They will hop in thinking its a bucket full of seeds and drown. I would put this trap on the people side of your coop, chickens love sunflower seeds too, and will surely go in after them as well. This bucket trap has worked wonders for me. Good luck!

awesome suggestion! thanks a lot for that. I know this sounds dumb, but I may try without the water so I can let them go in the woods. If that doesn't work, I'll drown the poor little things. One way or another, it makes sense that I need to get rid of them.

Thanks!

Have you heard of the Nooski traps? It's like a tube the mouse has to crawl into and a little rubber ring gets them. The mechanism is enclosed, so it's safer to have around other animals. This is what I used in my kids' rooms when the flooding last year forced the field mice into our house. It's the next best thing to barn cats, imo. You can use them over and over, just reload a new rubber ring in it. They come with extra rings and you can buy more rings separately.

steve&kris :

awesome suggestion! thanks a lot for that. I know this sounds dumb, but I may try without the water so I can let them go in the woods. If that doesn't work, I'll drown the poor little things. One way or another, it makes sense that I need to get rid of them.

Thanks!

If you let them go in the woods, anywhere within five miles of your coop, the rascals will just find their way back!​

Quote:
If you let them go in the woods, anywhere within five miles of your coop, the rascals will just find their way back!

This.

Mice are critters that find their way "home". Catch and release really isn't a feasible option with them.

Quote:
If you let them go in the woods, anywhere within five miles of your coop, the rascals will just find their way back!

This.

Mice are critters that find their way "home". Catch and release really isn't a feasible option with them.

Yep- they'll be back. And they'll bring all their buddies for a party in your shed.

They will jump back out of the bucket also if its full of seed
Cant jump on water thats the trick to them being there when you come back
smile.png

I like a windup 'tin cat' trap. They can snap up a dozen mice and be ready for more. I dump the mice in a water bucket.
hmm.png
No chemicals, no staggering mice for the cats to eat. The tin cat is ready all the time. Other traps work too, its just my fav.

Quote:
The only wind up tin cats I have seen seem pretty inhumane. They are supposed to be a live trap, but the mechanism is violent, frequently maiming the critter without killing it or killing it slowly and painfully rather than quickly. Do you have one designed to kill them quickly? I would like to see it, since a multi-critter trap is ideal for a barn situation. I just can't find one I am willing to use since, even though I want the buggers gone, I don't want to hurt them first.

Back
Top Bottom