MICE MICE MICE MICE

chickengirlnm

Songster
12 Years
Sep 4, 2007
clovis, new mexico
I hate mice - those little dirty nasty things always leaving thier poo everywhere - GROSS

We have not been in our house very long, so I guess before we moved here it belonged to a rather large family of mice.So far I have not seen them anywhere near the chicken coop, I mean why should they go out in the cold when I have the heater on in the house and they have all the bird feed they can eat ( in my birds cages ).
Does anyone know of a way to kill them?? I cant leave bait around everywhere because dogs have been coming in house since it is cold now, I dont want to leave glue traps everywhere ( for same reason ). I thought about getting those things you plug in that is sopposed to scare mice away, but worry it will drive my two inside birds nuts- has anyone used these before?
I am trying to fight a losing battle here, every morning with my cup of coffee I get a mini heartache while I go to my birds cage to say good morning a mouse jumps out and runs off !! ( same bird that will bite the crap out of me but will not hurt the mouse ! )
And getting a cat is out of the question ( the cat fur hurts my eyes)
I know chickens will eat mice sometimes, should I just let some of my hens start sleeping in house ?? DH will love that one LOL

Julie

Keep your dogs up for the night in another room and use the good old fashioned snap traps. They are most active at night, so put the traps out in the evening and take them back up in the morning if your dogs are an issue. Bait them with Peanut Butter and put them around the area where the mice have to go by to get to the bird cages.

They LOVE peanut butter. Just put a little bit and smear it all over the bait tab of the trap - you want them to 'work' for it so they will get caught quickly and killed humanely by the snap.

If the mice are THAT bad you may have bunch more you don't see.

If you can find where they are coming in you can pour loose mice bait in the crevice - like a gap in the wall etc - where the dogs can't get to it. Then block the crevice with tinfoil.

Be prepared for a smelly few days while the poison does its work...

Last edited:
Julie we had this problem a while back so I feel your pain. I will tell you what works wonderfully and it won't bother the dogs or birds. It's an electronic mouse trap. Looks like a rectangular black box. It runs on batteris. Their is a door on top and you add peanut butter on the end close the door and turn it on. Put it where you think would work best and just wait. We've never had a mouse problem after that and it works wonders. Once the mouse is trapped all you'll have to do is open the door and dispose of the mouse. This was best for me cause I can't stand the things. I didn't have to see it or put my fingers around it!

Sounds perfect - where did you get it? I have a few hardware stores here, also Walmart and a Lowes- do you think they will have it, we are going shopping this evening to find ways to get rid of these unwanted house guest.

thank you
Julie

If you have an attic or crawlspace you can set some traps there. I had to resort to putting traps in the crawlspace to avoid trapping my sons worthless cats. I catch plenty there. To bad the cats will just watch them and not catch them.

The mice in my house like to live in the insulation in the oven. They also like to poo inside the oven which is extremely disgusting- especially when I'm putting dinner in the oven and I find it. I also have lazy cats- inside and outside - and I really hate using poison. I use snap traps inside and was using them in the chicken coop/rabbit room ( they work pretty well if you nail them vertically or horizontally to the areas with a lot of traffic- that way they don't take them away.), but there got to be so many that I resorted to using poison. There are poisons which are supposed to species specific. They are supposedly only toxic the targeted animal and non toxic to anything else even if directly ingested. I don't know how this works, but I tried it last year and still had mice after using it. So this year I asked a lot of questions and tried to find one with the least amount of residual toxicity. I have also found poisoned owls and hawks in the past when the farmers next to us poisoned ground squirrels and it breaks my heart.
I love almost all animals and I think the mice are cute, but they are the dirtiest animals around! I don't mind a couple in my coop, but when I go out at night and turn on the light and 50 mice scatter, it's way too much.

Elizabeth

Mice are pretty dirty, I can easily potty train a hamster but have never been able to do that with a mouse, they pee on the go, nothing like a pair running like mad on their wheel and one lets go.

As for that cat, tell it that it needs to get a job if it wants to eat.
lol.png

Might be hard if she's a house cat though. Ferals have learned how to hunt for food.

I bought a Tomcat humane trap at Tractor Supply it works great. We catch 1 to 3 almost everyday then transport them across to the field (someone else's) it cost 14 dollars or something like that. We have 3 pretty feral cats here and actually let a few go in front of them however then my 4 year old screamed for the cats not to eat them and the cats ran off. The cats were not interested in the least my dog however is a great mouse catcher when he wants to be.

Back
Top Bottom