Michigan Chickenstock 2011 Sell/Swap/Need

I currently have 2 two week old orpington chicks, plus 6 eggs in the incubator due to have on the 21st. I have a Vorwerk hen sitting on 6 eggs that were due to hatch today, plus 13 eggs in the incubator along with 8 Spangled Hamburgs. I p;lan on bringing everything I have. I will also be bringing approximately 6 orpington, 8 hamburg, and 15 Vorwerk eggs.

l

10233_reading_great_book.gif
Beginning in 1900, poultry breeder Oskar Vorwerk began to create a medium-sized, utilitarian fowl with the belted plumage pattern of the Lakenvelder. The key difference in appearance would be the Vorwerk's dark golden base color, rather than the white of the Lakenvelder. Thus, his chicken is sometimes called the Golden Lakenvelder, especially in North America.[2] Breeds used to create the Vorwerk included the Lakenvelder, Buff Orpington, Buff Sussex and Andalusian. By 1913, the Vorwerk was standardized. However, it never really gained widespread use, and is rare or non-existent outside Continental Europe.

In 1966, a U.S. man named Wilmar Vorwerk of New Ulm, MN developed an interest in the breed, but it had not been exported to North America. Thus, he created a bantam version from scratch using Lakenvelders, Buff and Blue Wyandottes, Black-tailed Buff and Buff Columbian Rosecombs. European fanciers have also independently miniaturized a bantam Vorwerk. Though the large fowl Vorwerk has never been accepted in the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection, the American Bantam Association has recognized the U.S. version of the Vorwerk Bantam.

My bantam Vorwerks

chicks
10233_new_chicks_030.jpg

Rooster
10233_vorwerk_rooster_020.jpg

Hens
10233_tonight_045.jpg

10233_broody_vorwerk.jpg

Vorwerk egg
10233_vorwerk_egg.jpg

Developing a breed of chicken takes years. Selecting just the right birds, culling their offspring to keep only the birds that breed true to form. While it possible that I am getting to an age where I might not have enough years left to take on such a monumental task I still think that I am going to try. Does anyone think that there would be a demand for these chicks?
10233_peep_in_nest.jpg

Last edited:
It isn't necessary to bring birds for buy/sell/trade to attend the event. The purpose of this thread to to let folks know what you are looking for or to tell them in advance what you are offering for sale.

Last edited:
Is anyone planning on hopping the border and coming from Indiana? I have a cockerel that is hitchhiking to the Indianapolis area! Can anyone take him at least part way?

Well, by the time chickenstock happens, I'll have multiple duckling and chicken crosses. Many bantams that are either silkie, frizzle or cochin crosses. I wanted to have bantam frizzles and cochins but the males didn't make it through the winter.

I am only looking for call duck hens and BLRW hens, but might be interested in other stuff since I'm getting rid of some that I have now.

I also have 3 Isa Brown hens (about a year) and a RIR cross hen that need to be re-homed if anyone is interested.

If anyone is interested in the cross chicks and ducklings that will be hatching next week pm me!
smile.png

Shot, I'd love your siklie/cochin/frizzle crosses, I've got 2 broody hens I've been considering giving chicks to, but I think yours may be too old by chickenstock for the mamas to accept.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom