Michigan Hatchers! What'cha got cookin?

These are the breeds/mixes I plan on hatching this spring
Buff Orpington
Speckled Sussex
Black Copper Marans
EEs
And mixes of many breeds including Black Copper Marans, Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Black Australorp, Buff and Light Brahma, Red Sex Link, sl and col Wyandotte, White Leghorn, and lots more.

*note* my birds are not show quality, most of my stock is from a hatchery except for my Marans.

These are the breeds/mixes I plan on hatching this spring
Buff Orpington
Speckled Sussex
Black Copper Marans
EEs
And mixes of many breeds including Black Copper Marans, Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Black Australorp, Buff and Light Brahma, Red Sex Link, sl and col Wyandotte, White Leghorn, and lots more.

*note* my birds are not show quality, most of my stock is from a hatchery except for my Marans.

I always think its interesting to see the offspring. Although never have done that b4, I see other people's mixed chicks.

Have pretty much decided that my dream birds...blue and chocolate layers will have to wait....so hard to be patient!!
That will give me this summer to complete my partition run and just get some more experience under my belt, have only had chooks since Sept. 2013, so haven't been thru a summer yet.

Plan to set a hatch in Feb, while I still have the borrowed incubator, of my own mixed mutt birds for replacement layers this fall. Have only done one hatch, they all went to the bator owner at 3 weeks, want to hatch some and raise them up and see what that's like. Get the process down, especially the grow out facility, integration process, and cull/butcher gear.

Last edited:
In my bator currently (day 5) I have 12 Leghorn, 6 Bantam Cochin and 6 mixed breed eggs. I could NOT hold out any longer.

I am hoping to find some decent quality silkie eggs in the spring. Can't afford show quality but would love to have a few nice Silkie hens to add to our flock.

I'm setting some on Feb 1st. We are working on a lifelong flock. Breed selecting for fast growing and good egg layers.

Our homemade bator fits about 45 eggs. I'm not sure I will get that many in a week.

I would also like to start a olive egg project. Timeline has welsummer this year. I thought about getting some.

Our basement serves as our "workout" area, and every day when I'm down there I have 2 sheets of Lu-on (or however you spell it...1/4in plywood!) and a sheet of OSB just staring at me DARING me to build brooders! NO! I want to have an OUTDOOR brooder this year! Plus, if I end up having as many chicks as I think I will, I'll NEED to have an outdoor brooder to stay married!
lol.png

I'm going to hatch some silkies this year too. We have 3 girls and 3 boys currently (anyone need a silkie cockerel?).....a white pair, 1 blue partridge and 1 black partridge pullets, and then 2 other black partridge cockerels. Seems like there's ALWAYS "wanted" ads for silkies on CL, and 3 potential broodies means I would have potential room for 18 more LF eggs to incubate!

Back
Top Bottom