Michigan Hatchers! What'cha got cookin?

The kids (14, 12 and 7 year old 4h'ers) got their hands on two Svart Hona breeding pairs and are determined to improve the quality of the breed. First set of eggs go into the incubator on Saturday.

Oh my! That's an ambitious project for sure!

Broody hen is scheduled to hatch on the 9th/10th. Less than a week to little chickies! I need to get on the genetics calculator so i have a general idea of what they might look like. I have ISA brown hens and a blue-laying EE (i think she's from my blue wheaton/ee mix hen and blue EE cockerel that I culled last year for being so mean) under a mixed-breed blue rooster. No guarantees that I will get any of it right for what genes are hiding, but it'll give me a clue anyway.

The kids (14, 12 and 7 year old 4h'ers) got their hands on two Svart Hona breeding pairs and are determined to improve the quality of the breed. First set of eggs go into the incubator on Saturday.

That's a great project for the kids! You must be proud of them!! They're not hanging out in front of any media device, for one thing!!

I am very proud . They do amazing in school and are good citizens. This is all just another lesson in life for them and they learning rapidly.

Broody fever is sweeping through my coops. I am up to 3 broodies now, which is a lot for us. Today is hatch day for the 6 eggs I gave the one broody (the one that has been broody the longest) but I gave half the eggs to the other broody in her coop lay night so they quit fighting over the eggs and trying to cram into the nest box together. One egg chirped at me when I moved it so hopefully we have at least ONE chick out of all of it!

The 3rd broody just started last week and she raised a batch of chicks last year and did a good job. I locked her in a travel crate with some eggs last night so she quits biting me every time I collect eggs; she has been in residence in the most popular nest box in her coop.

Does anyone have any 3 to 4 week old meat chickens for sale? A fox got 15 out of 18 of ours last night. Security problem has been resolved, and the kids are bummed. We are in Fenton I will drive up to an hour....

Back
Top Bottom