Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

RaZ... Oh RaZ... Lol

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Gaitngirl- your maybe-girl-maybe-not, sounds just like mine here ?! Guess we wait it out. I hope you get eggs, I dunno if they'll lay in a nest or not. Yesterday all the eggs were in straw, but the day before they were on the dirt. Not too surprised to hear of the smack down, that girl was the boss here. Glad they're settling in. :)

Ok RaZ, lasagna garden tomorrow! I've got seedlings ready to go in...I was trying to decide today what to plant where. I always hate that part.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    [​IMG]
    Looks like today has the potential to be a little on the damp side. We definitely need the rain but I wish that it would have held off until I got the rototilling done.

4. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    Agreed! I mowed the area I'm going to put my sunflowers in as short as I could without damaging the mower too much yesterday, and contemplated starting the rototilling. I managed to talk myself out of it though. [​IMG] Had DH pick up a 5# bag of peredovik sunflower seeds on his way home from work, and judging by their height (4-5ft) I guess I'll be tilling the whole area instead of just tilling rows like I originally planned. For some reason I thought they were the taller 6-8ft variety. Still, hopefully it'll be a beautiful sight later this summer!

I am SUPER EXCITED about this morning though!! Brethren is meeting me and she is taking my orpington rooster! [​IMG] All that will leave is to figure out what to do with our very nice EE rooster (not aggressive to me or the kids in any way....prefers to stay out of your way) since DH and I have decided that we like the look of our Wyandotte rooster better. (He's also not shown any aggression toward the kids.)

Regarding this newspaper/mulch thing....my back flowerbed is a nightmare to keep neat. If I go through and weed it as best I can, then put down newspaper over everything BUT the existing plants I want, and then mulch it when I do my coop cleanout, that should do the trick, right? How will that affect how water gets through? I have a hard time keeping it watered like it should be because of the amount of sun, sandiness of soil, and wind we get. Will the newspaper and mulch help with that? The flowerbed is 8x32.....I have a lot of weeding to do. [​IMG]

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I think just water the layers as you add them. So you are always adding a layer overtop of an already saturated layer. Should help moisture retention, long term.

6. gladahmae

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    Yeah I could do that. I guess I'm just concerned that if I use the 'shiney' newspaper that it will block the weeds well, but will also be a moisture barrier later in the summer.

7. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    pssssssssst... don't use the shiney ones! [​IMG]

8. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Don't use shiny ad fillers from the paper. Use the regular newsprint. Water will pass through to the soil, the paper prevents weed seeds from germinating and/or sprouting. The mulch keeps the newspaper in place while providing a layer of insulation to the soil and helps it retain moisture for your plants. And it looks nice. The newspaper will decompose in a couple of months.

[​IMG]

It was kind of windy so I wet the newspaper as I put it down on top of the weeds. This is a straw bale garden so there is no mulch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have since planted flowers, sweet potato vine, tomatoes and peppers in the bales. Before long, the vines will completely cover the bales.

9. Maah

Maah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    W.Michigan
    [​IMG]
    Love this idea!!

10. gladahmae

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    Ooooooh! OK. [​IMG] Pretty excited about maybe being able to have a NICE looking flower bed in the back yard by the end of the summer. Looks like I may have to mow the back again since the little bit of rain we got has made the grass back there grow 3in again. Keeping things mowed down seems to help keep the mosquitos down too since they don't have a cool shady place to hang out, as well as trying to keep any and all standing water from occurring.

I should take a before and after picture of my flower bed. it's pretty jungle-y back there right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by