Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Nigellas

Nigellas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    me too.
    :)

2. Lisa and girls

Lisa and girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    West Michigan
    I think it's brilliant.

3. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, I'm glad he's recognizable. After working on it I don't trust my own judgment.
    Naglady are you sure they aren't broody not molting? Several of our have broody patches but aren't really committed to sitting. They quit laying then also. Hatching guineas is similar to chickens. If I remember correctly its just the humidity that is different and how long.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    Tap i was wondering about the broody also..

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Fair warning. I went to my scheduled appointment at the VA hospital and got my hearing aids fitted. Now you will need to watch what you say on here.

6. ant1

ant1 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Hi all.

I'm a newbie. Well kind of. Been a watcher for about a year as we built up a small flock in Troy Michigan. Anyway, I have an acre and 3 coops (yeah way too much space!) for a dozen hens and one rooster. Short of the story is that I got little note from the city about getting a permit and that I couldn't keep a rooster.. so that's a bummer, but at least they didn't get me any trouble on the chickens (just filled for the $70 permit and we'll see how that goes.)

the roo is a Silkie Ameracauna mix and I need a home for him. i put some pictures on craigslist if you search for rooster silkie you should find him. I want to make sure he has a good home an space to roam (I know that he probably won't have an enclosed acre as he does now but I'm not sure how he'd do in a small run.) I'd trade him for some hens, chicks, ducklings or whatever. Let me know if that's of interest to anyone!

7. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    Welcome to the group, sorry you have to get rid of your roo, but glad you get to keep the rest.. could of been worse

8. Lisa and girls

Lisa and girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]
    My little SLW munchkin chillin with us
    [​IMG]
    My little silkie man. Just started crowing. Sounds so pathetic LOL. Wasn't sure what the noise was at first!

9. ant1

ant1 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013

Actually the inspector was really nice about it. I was ready to go all right to farm act an whatnot but if I can keep the hens even with a 70$ permit I'm all good! Upside; it list all the domestic animals... Hmm pigs and goats!

10. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    SAM! CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?? YOU'LL AND THE OTHERS WILL BE HAPPY TO KNOW THAT I STILL NEED TO WASH THE WALLS DOWN. WHEN THE MEN ARE DONE PUTTING THE FLOORS DOWN AND MAKING A BIG MESS!!! SO, DON'T WORRY, YOU DIDN'T MISS THE FUN!

My hens have slowed down in laying, also. I was going to go out and see if I can find a nest in the flower garden somewhere. I've been breaking broodies for a few weeks, one at a time. My EE took a week to break. Stubborn lil girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by