Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ant1

ant1 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013

Yup heard that too (re ants) and definitely see them on peonies every year. Try this: make a simple syrup ie sugar water and brush it on. That should attract ants and open up the buds.

2. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    very interesting, how much dirt did you put on it?, looks like 5 or more bags of top soil?
    the roots will grow down as the paper decomposes, witch doesn't take long and the tulips will have no trouble as the paper will most likely be gone by spring
    your peonys may need more fertile soil, try adding some compost and or peat moss, mulch them well
    explain how you built your fence, looks very nice, what are the diagonal lines made from? and is the arch the barbed wire?
    nice score on the egg cartons and the customer [​IMG]

3. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    Raz, bet your neighbors love the hay bale garden[​IMG]

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Nice fence Lady.

5. BackyardFarmMom

BackyardFarmMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Michigan
    Xs 2 LOL

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Peonies don't need ants to bloom. Ants are attracted to the sticky substance, but peonies will bloom without them. Peony plants do not like to be moved. I would try amending the soil and see if that helps. I have several plants and they are doing great. Double check and make sure they are not buried too far. Is it getting enough sun??

Got a new puppy today. Milo was just so sad after loosing his buddy. It just broke my heart. So, Milo came with and picked out his new brother. lol Otis is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Tri-color. Soooo cute!

Still installing my hardwood floors. Still have two bedrooms to do and half the living room. Can't wait till I get my house back!! So over all the dust and mess.

Welcome to the newbie. Forgot your name, but you'll enjoy this thread.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  7. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    It's just 4 x 4's about 7' tall, chicken wire across the bottom half to keep out the chickens and rusty barbed wire (found in the barn) around the top. Then I strung nylon cord around for the lattice pattern so the deer could see the fencing. I used to have streamers hanging off it but the lattice just seemed like fun. The stones were all dug from the garden when we first tilled it and help keep the little critters out, like rabbits. The draping lines are solar lights that I used to have on my deck at my old house. I don't have a deck anymore so I hung them on the fence. Now I need something to protect the orchard. -_-

8. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    I like this a lot, it has a "raw" feeling to it. He has such a pretty boy image usually , i like him so much better with the glimpse of emotion here. Nice job!

Quote:Originally Posted by ant1 [​IMG] So chickens are considered a domestic animal? I'm confused then why you aren't supposed to keep them inside as pets in most cities? (I was gonna smuggle mine in, as the lease said only "domesticated animals" were to be approved)

9. kimmie6067

kimmie6067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Glad I live in Lake George about an hour and a half away I would be willing to meet you, let me know if I can help.

Kimmie

10. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    like the garden fence looks good..

one of my new hens is limping not sure what is up.. i see she can scratch with it.. wonder what she did..doesnt feel broke

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by