Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Is there anyone within....oh....an hour of Honor/Frankfort/Traverse City that is planning on going to chickenstock? There's no way I can go, but I'm wondering if someone would be willing to bring back a few chickens for me after looking at the list of who is bringing what.
hide.gif

don't those need ants to help them bloom?     Maybe the soil is too dry?  IDK... I just like to hear myself type...........   :D

Yup heard that too (re ants) and definitely see them on peonies every year. Try this: make a simple syrup ie sugar water and brush it on. That should attract ants and open up the buds.

It was kind of windy so I wet the newspaper as I put it down on top of the weeds. This is a straw bale garden so there is no mulch.

I have since planted flowers, sweet potato vine, tomatoes and peppers in the bales. Before long, the vines will completely cover the bales.
very interesting, how much dirt did you put on it?, looks like 5 or more bags of top soil?
Well I can give you the before, along with a shot of my 2 largest nemesis plants: purple thistle, and something that I don't know what it is, but it spreads like mad and has really deep roots.

^ ^ ^ From the north end, looking south.

^ ^ ^ Purple thistle seems to THRIVE here. I've been pulling it out for THREE YEARS NOW.

^ ^ ^ What ever the lighter green plant is in the center of this picture....it pops up all over the place and seems to be impossible to get rid of in my flower bed.

^ ^ ^ I have 3 peony plants I got from my mother's clumps of peonies. They haven't bloomed in 3 years. And they never get over a foot tall. I made sure to not bury them too deep, so I have no clue why they aren't doing well. Thoughts?
the roots will grow down as the paper decomposes, witch doesn't take long and the tulips will have no trouble as the paper will most likely be gone by spring
your peonys may need more fertile soil, try adding some compost and or peat moss, mulch them well
Just to share in all the garden talk, here's my garden fence. Just finished it yesterday. We have deer here (you can't see but there's actually some deer netting inside all that chicken wire, barbed wire and lattice-work).

So I finally snagged a great egg customer. She's a former chicken owner who retired and can't keep chickens due to spending long periods in Florida. I'm very grateful that she chose me because she said they'd been shopping around the locals for eggs and she found mine to be the tastiest so... It was hard-earned but I got her and she left with three dozen today. It sounds like she was happy with the way I raise them, similar to her experience and that's probably why she likes the eggs so much. My birds are well tended, that I'm here all day, every day and they free range every day as well with scraps too. But it's kind of sad that it takes a like-minded chicken owner to appreciate what I have here. It was sort of my intention to reach out to those who take their easy lifestyles for granted. I live sandwiched between two subdivision-like streets, rows of 1 acre lots with lawn-loving, prepackaged food folks. You'd think they'd want a taste of the good life. But alas, no. Still, I'm glad she chose me.

She also gave me about fifty egg cartons!
explain how you built your fence, looks very nice, what are the diagonal lines made from? and is the arch the barbed wire?
nice score on the egg cartons and the customer
thumbsup.gif

Peonies don't need ants to bloom. Ants are attracted to the sticky substance, but peonies will bloom without them. Peony plants do not like to be moved. I would try amending the soil and see if that helps. I have several plants and they are doing great. Double check and make sure they are not buried too far. Is it getting enough sun??

Got a new puppy today. Milo was just so sad after loosing his buddy. It just broke my heart. So, Milo came with and picked out his new brother. lol Otis is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Tri-color. Soooo cute!

Still installing my hardwood floors. Still have two bedrooms to do and half the living room. Can't wait till I get my house back!! So over all the dust and mess.

Welcome to the newbie. Forgot your name, but you'll enjoy this thread.

Last edited:
explain how you built your fence, looks very nice, what are the diagonal lines made from? and is the arch the barbed wire?
It's just 4 x 4's about 7' tall, chicken wire across the bottom half to keep out the chickens and rusty barbed wire (found in the barn) around the top. Then I strung nylon cord around for the lattice pattern so the deer could see the fencing. I used to have streamers hanging off it but the lattice just seemed like fun. The stones were all dug from the garden when we first tilled it and help keep the little critters out, like rabbits. The draping lines are solar lights that I used to have on my deck at my old house. I don't have a deck anymore so I hung them on the fence. Now I need something to protect the orchard. -_-

Need some opinions. Can you tell who this is? I am working on a retirement gift for a friend but not liking the finished product. Something looks wrong to me and I have two creases that have appeared in my paper. I'm trying to decide whether to scrap it and start another or use it.

I like this a lot, it has a "raw" feeling to it. He has such a pretty boy image usually , i like him so much better with the glimpse of emotion here. Nice job!

Quote:Originally Posted by ant1 So chickens are considered a domestic animal? I'm confused then why you aren't supposed to keep them inside as pets in most cities? (I was gonna smuggle mine in, as the lease said only "domesticated animals" were to be approved)

Last edited:
Is there anyone within....oh....an hour of Honor/Frankfort/Traverse City that is planning on going to chickenstock? There's no way I can go, but I'm wondering if someone would be willing to bring back a few chickens for me after looking at the list of who is bringing what.
hide.gif
Hi Glad I live in Lake George about an hour and a half away I would be willing to meet you, let me know if I can help.

Kimmie

Back
Top Bottom