Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    opa glad your friend is ok, and sorry about his birds, but atleast those are replacable.. your friend isnt.. still sad.
    i have my radishes and lettuce planted and sprouting, only other plants are kale and cabbage.. which are doing good. i planted last weekend b4 all the rain. to give them a head start.. i will just put some leaves over them in the evening.
    sorry your hatch didnt go so well..

i just stoked up my bator last night. i had a still air, and put a pc fan in it yesturday.. and both sides are holding a same temp so that is good.. i will be setting later today.. a guy my dh works with gave us 51 guinnea eggs and i plan on setting atleast 36-41 of them, eating some for breakfast today with morels and vidalia onion.. this is my third time around for hatching. first time only one hatched. second time i had 11 hatch out of 21 in lockdown.. started with 38 eggs and like you alot unfertile.
    this time not sure how many are fertile either.. and plus they are guinnea not chicken. and go 28 days.
    thats going to be most of june.. so if i can go to chicken stock maybe i will have some guinneas..

tap i bet the kids love your show and tell story time.. my dd joined the green team at her school, and its all about planting, composting. gardening.. and every week i bring my 3 chicks in which i have been doing since they were like a day old.. so every thursday those kids are just amazed how much they grown and what they look like in such a short time.
    i missed it last week dh and i were in mushroom woods and ds picked her up.. i will be taking the chicks today for the kids to see..

glad if you have alot of chicks, lots of bedding and light they should be fine, they will keep each other warm. if your coop is drafty put a tarp or plastic over it.

2. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Sadly the court system seems to have their own logic and definitions.
    Yesterday was a probation meeting. At the top of the form is a line for the crime; it says "exotic animal kept in house not classified as pet".
    Never let facts get in the way of a legal proceeding. [​IMG]

3. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    The chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus) is a domesticated fowl, I'd ask them if wiki is considered a reliable source for definitions.

So........ I wonder if they are going to go after EVERYONE else in Garden City, keeping exotic pets like ohhhhhhhhhh I dunno... parrot, parakeets, cockatiel, cockatoo, finches, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, chinchillas, ferrets, snakes, lizards, frogs, fish, hermit crabs and other commonly owned "pets" that are not otherwise considered a dog, cat or Canarie? Hmmmmmmmmmm?

4. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    The chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus) is a domesticated fowl, I'd ask them if wiki is considered a reliable source for definitions.

So........ I wonder if they are going to go after EVERYONE else in Garden City, keeping exotic pets like ohhhhhhhhhh I dunno... parrot, Macaws, parakeets, cockatiel, cockatoo, finches, love birds, doves, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, chinchillas, ferrets, snakes, lizards, frogs, fish, hermit crabs and other commonly owned "pets" that are not otherwise considered classified and otherwise explanentially known as a dog, cat or Canarie? Hmmmmmmmmmm? Most all of the birds listed (including the beloved canarie)....... are imported or introduced........ CHICKENS are not on the list!

I'd love to smack someone upside the head and say... What the *blank* is wrong with you?

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  5. Maah

Maah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    W.Michigan
    Lady, nice looking fence! And those are the BEST egg cartons. That was very nice that she gave them to you. They hold the larger jumbo eggs from the older hens very nicely, where the regular cartons can cause the eggs to crack. Love them, but sadly I only have a couple. Bring them to CS & I'll trade you 3-1 or better. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ugh. My silkie chicks are 12 weeks old & I still can't tell them apart. Definitely don't have combs like you chick does. Just by looking down at them, they don't seem to have any comb developed. I was going to try to give them a super close look over yesterday (check closer for developing comb & wattles that I can't see just by looking down at them), but saw they were all muddy from the rain & figured it wouldn't hurt to wait until another day. Nobody is trying to crow... but I don't think I could get that lucky & all 3 be pullets. ?? I need a better look.

Ahh, you're killing me! Am I gonna have to get guineas too??!!! Where would I put them?

6. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Rose, congrats on the new puppy. They are so much fun! I hope you will post a pic.

Welcome to all the new members [​IMG]

Opa, I am glad you finally got your new ears.

Tap, sorry for your loss.

Guineas....I am tempted, especially since I have seen three ticks in as many weeks. One on DH, one on me and even one on my rattie who had flea and tick prevention stuff on him. I have been here for 24 years and this is the first time I have seen any here.

7. tmkuroda

tmkuroda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    Grayling, Mi
    Well I have decided against having genetic hackle chickens because I want them to be more "pet-A-fied". Is that even a word? Now I am wondering what type I do want lol I think I want different colored eggs but I want sweet chickens that are colorful. I would love to hear a rooster crow now and again but I don't really want to deal with fertilized eggs, at least not in the first year. So I am off to research yet again! I will be posting later with breeds and you will tell me that I am okay or outta my mind! See this is why I have to plan a YEAR in advance or I would be buying everything and then have to sort it out later [​IMG]

8. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    hillbilly last year i think they started getting terrible.. i got a tick on my twice mushroom hunting last week.. always on the look out for them..because i am in the woods alot.. pretty scary. we are always checking when we get out of the woods, and put clothes in washing machine with lid closed.. dont have to run it, but to keep them from crawling around in your house.

get them as chicks, and they are better when there is about 6 of them, and handle or hand feed them right away and if you raising them with chickens, raise them with a few chicks also.. its all about how you raise them from keets. if you get them as adults. they may take off on you

9. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    I am in the woods a lot too....wait ...I LIVE in the woods [​IMG] I got the one tick on me just from walking the dogs down the driveway.

10. fuzzybutt love

fuzzybutt love Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Originally Posted by 1muttsfan [​IMG] I've thought of this, but from what i've read (could be wrong, correct me please if i am) salmonella is an incurable thing if the chicken carries it, and this was the reason behind putting down the chickens in the commercial industry at the time of the salmonella contaminated eggs???

So couldn't i simply get her tested for the diseases that could be passed to me? (If she has salmonella it really would be a need-to-know thing anyway, since i could get it from her eggs too! I've had parakeets since i was a kid, and i didn't really think of it much differently except for the initial risk since she's been kept outside for almost a year. At any rate i've been coddling these birds the whole time, so if they have anything i have it too more than likely. :/ People that buy direct from hatcheries, wouldn't that be less of a risk? Idk on this whole issue, i never expected to be a "chicken nut", that's for sure!

I really loved her mother (in my avitar) . She acted more cat than chicken, and her daughter is the same way. Don't fit in with the others, getting picked on terribly. Too nice, too smart. My intentions were to bring her mother in before the last winter, but the summer heat took that option away from me. :( I've been searching since i first got that bird for others like her, and even through breeding "hope" is the only one that fits the bill, even her other daughter isn't this way. When i find the right rooster i want to try to hatch more, but right now the thought of losing her is terrible for both the emotional and the practical reasons, so she's getting treated "as if" she was one of those expensive chocolate colored ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by