Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    Well I got the big coop cleaned out yesterday! 6 wheelbarrows full of poop and shavings! Ran the shopvac over everything, hosed it down, and then ran the shopvac over a few more places! I painted the insides of the nest boxes with an 'almost black' paint we got off the oops rack, and hopefully having a slightly darker area will be conducive to them actually USING them. When I started the cleaning I took my 2 broodys and put them in the big dog crate; they made a HUGE racket so I tossed them out with the other chickens and they were happy to act like normal chickens for the afternoon. However, once the paint dried and I opened the pop door they were right back to their respective corners. Will definitely have to get the roof back onto the mini-coop and make it into a broody coop!

Opa, I'm so happy to hear that you are doing all you can to allow Granny to go fishing this year. It's so nice to be able to just sit in a rocking boat with a fishing pole in your hands.....

2. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Here is my cows.

Hiding from the heat yesterday.

[​IMG]

My own goats. The garden is in the background. Its 100 by 50 ft.
    [​IMG]

Griffin the male emu.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. uchytil

uchytil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Do you have a concrete slab? If so one other thought is the present humidity. Some spaces with a concrete slab stay very cool near the floor and introduction of warm, humid, air can cause condenstaion. I agree with Opa about wood chips being better than sand for moisture absorbtion.

4. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    Opa: Thanks for the tip you posted awhile back about dispatching birds via cervical displacement using a board. I tried combining the roosters today and they were both panting heavily after about 10min of skirmishing, and were still going at it. Rather than let them continue to injure eachother, I was able to easily catch the one I've been trying to re-home (they were both very tired) and quickly finish him off. Now to figure out what to do with the body......I don't think I'm up for dressing a chicken today

Kind of feeling like a big meany now, and wondering if I picked the right one to keep since the EE roo never showed any tendency to attack myself or the kids, and the Wyandotte is more of an unknown quantity. Ugh. I need to do something to distract myself from this.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  5. poultrylubber

poultrylubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all !!!! Um I am wondering if there are any people here who show poultry. I am interested in getting involved in poultry showing but I have NO idea how to go about it. Is there a group I need to get involved in? I know nothing so if anyone knows could you help me ???!!!! If you could PM me rather than put it here so it would be easier talk about it!!
    Thank you!!![​IMG]

6. Fancy Favie

Fancy Favie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2012
    Millington, MI
    I sent you a PM.... Also had to share I named my Australian shepard an anime name ( Ken Pachi Raito) Pachi for short

1 person likes this.
  7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Here are my phoenix and one lone WC Polish, one White Jap Bantam, (pretty sure she's a she), and two white yokos. I had to unfortunetly put down the only blue phoenix at a week. Bad leg, wasn't growing... Culling chicks is very hard. Anyway, the rest are growing, well, colors are starting to show up and WOW! Sunday it will be 4 weeks for them! First time hatching in a bator! The white Yoko that I helped get out is also very healthy. I had to help it, I didn't realise it was hatching when I opened the bator. It was the last one to hatch, a full day after all the rest were out.. Anyway... Here they are!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I can't hardly wait for those blue ones (technically they are silvers) to finish coloring and filling in. They look so AWESOME! The only boy I am for certain keeping is a crele, and then two ladies for him. He was the first out. If there is interest in the others, let me know.

In the bator now are WC polish in blue, black or splash... not certain what colors we'll have till they hatch... a few red shoulder yokos, white yokos, and white jap bantams. Several of the polish are already claimed. OH, and they are the bantam polish, not standard.

[​IMG] Not the best pic, but how the blues look. I think it is a girl. Such a trouble making diva. Acts like the world is coming to an end when ever I hold her. LOL

8. ladyrsanti

ladyrsanti Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Michigan
    There's a pack of dogs threatening my animals today. They're barking and making threats at the fence and then retreating across the field to the pine trees when I go to stop them. I don't know who they belong to, if anybody. Two BIG dogs. They could easily take out a sheep and the chickens if they got through the fence. I shut everybody up and called the Kent Co. animal control to report them but the agency is pretty much non-existent so I left a message and won't expect a call back until well after the dogs have moved on. I REALLY do not like dogs.

9. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I love dogs... Dogs that are well confined to their property. I have dogs. I keep them confined. My dogs will kill my chickens... Well, one will. Boston bully. Hope they move on very quickly.

10. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Regardless to whom the dogs belong to, shoot them when they are threatening your homestead, shovel them in the ground, and say nothing. SSS! Your livestock and your life and family are more valuable than those dangerous mutts. The law is on your side.

Last edited: May 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by