Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. gladahmae

gladahmae Songster

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    I was just concerned about possible pathogens from the poop and the veggies. 75% of the shavings have been in there since October, and the other 25% since early March. I have them piled up so when I get my flower bed weeded and newspapered I can mulch it with the shavings, but that probably isn't going to happen until next week. I would have no problem covering the garden with the shavings in the fall and letting them breakdown all winter and then tilling them in in the spring.

2. Nigellas

Nigellas Songster

Jun 14, 2008
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I use them in my walkways in the garden

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Crowing

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Farmerboy, I love the pictures of the little goats! They look so healthy and adorable! The mother looks great, too! I bet she is producing a lot of milk, from the looks of that udder!

Some pics.

What is this? Just a patch of grass, it seems.
    [​IMG]

Or is it?
    [​IMG]

No idea what laid these, but I quickly took the picture and left them be!
    [​IMG]

Less than a month until kids are due from my Angora goat!
    [​IMG]

And my little Nigerian Dwarf doeling from another kidding is maturing nicely. Her registered name will be Keweenaw Copper Lady (plus my herdname, of course).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. BackyardFarmMom

BackyardFarmMom Songster

Mar 27, 2012
    Michigan
    Oh my gosh!!!! I am so jealous of your angora!

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Songster

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan

I think it's ok as long as you don't have manure splashing up onto, say, tomatoes or lettuce that you're going to eat right away. Everybody?

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  6. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Stacykins- Your goats really look great too! Liked the Angora!

7. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
  8. Elyssia001

Elyssia001 In the Brooder

Oct 23, 2012
    Michigan
    Gratz n your fund raising Raz! Are you going to appeal the ruling? I signed up for the MSFC.

I planted early this year with spring crops. Everything but the cauliflower did well. We had those really hot days a few weeks ago, and they just gave up on me, even with shade and water. All my stuff came from seeds except the bigger pepper plants. I ordered my seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pictures are from two weeks ago. I'll take more this week if people are interested.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  9. uchytil

uchytil Songster

Apr 28, 2011
    That's seems pretty cool. Your fence must be fairly short? How large a pasture do you run them in? Presently mine live in a 100 foot by 100 foot fenced area with a 6' fence (4' horse and two board over that). They can climb out but since I added a new doe and wether they stay put. I have one field that's about 100 yards by 150 yards I'd like to set them in during the day. Not sure how I'll do that at present since it's not fenced, or wired. My toggies are pretty darn sweet.

10. uchytil

uchytil Songster

Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks, see you at CS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by