Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Rockford MI
    My Coop
    I know, I really wish I could keep him, but he is quite feisty about going after other roosters. I am hoping if I get a nice roo from Orion's chicks, he will be as mellow as his daddy and be able to live harmoniously in the same coop with him. Hah, no more clown feet for Pat! Glad to hear he is getting around well now.

2. uchytil

uchytil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Daron, ,Gotta love the goats! I'm glad I have a hoof trimmer onboard! I'm looking for someone with a Toggenburg buck to breed my does. Do you still have those pigs you raise? I can't remember the breed and I may get a few this fall.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  3. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    cute kids Farmer! My little buck Cas, has 10% Lamancha in him. I hear they're very sweet goats.

DH and I have finally agreed on a small pole shed shelter for our goats. We've enlarged it from 8x8 in the drawing to 8x12 (12x16 total). we wanted to set it up so the goats could be fed and watered from the outside and shelter for us as well... mostly to make it easier for anyone to help us feed them if we went on vacation or something. We'll build a second one next year for the other pasture.
    [​IMG]

4. hickchick55

hickchick55 Chillin' With My Peeps

If anybody likes felines, check out today's Cat of the Day- my Buster!

www.catoftheday.com

I guess that makes me an official crazy cat lady.
    Now I'll have to get a chicken on Pet of the Day.

5. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Drumstick- The Emus are doing well. Can take pictures of them today.

Yeah, love goats, but I still love my cows more!

Yup, still have American Guinea hogs. I have 3 sows that are due to have piglets within the next 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

6. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    Well, I'm getting ready to do my coop clean out today! (putting those shavings in my veggie garden is a no-no, right? flowers=yes food=no?) I've got 2 broodies in there right now so hopefully they can get along when I toss them both into the dog crate to keep them out of the way!

I've gotten my 'shuffle' all worked out as far as which chickens are going where to make room for the newbies, with the exception of the excess roo. Here's my question: my roosters were raised together. They've had a shared fence for their run since I separated them in March. They don't fight through the fence. Is there a decent chance they'll get along if I put them together? One is an EE that we haven't had any aggression issues with, and the other is a Wyandotte. They're both about 9mo old now. Should I combine them at night? Put the hens away and combine them? Just throw everyone together and let them sort it out? I have 15 pullets/hens, and will have a minimum of 8 more joining them in the fall (probably more like another 10-15 by the time I get done hatching). All extra cockerels will be getting made into dinner in the fall from what I'm hatching, and I'm only planning on keeping 1 more rooster (from my BLRW hatch) if he has good lacing and type to work on a breeding program, and they'll have their own coop and run. But for right now, I'm just worried about the 2 roos I have killing each other.

7. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Sam, glad to hear granny has a clean bill of health!! Hope she'll be up to coming to CS!!

8. nluoma

nluoma Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    S.E. Michigan
    Hello from Willis!
    Glad to see there are fellow Michiganders with Chickens. I'm new to the whole thing, and I'm going to need advice and support!
    Nanette

9. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I'm sure you will get a few different answers. Personally, I would have no problem using the coop sweepings in the vegetable garden. The plants won't be producing fruit for several weeks/months so the nutrients will be absorbed over time. If the coop material is coarse, you can use it to make paths between the rows. Or use it as mulch.

Personally, I will compost the coop sweepings for a few months. If you saw the photos of what I tilled, that was the coop clean out from winter with chicken poo added daily. It is now rich, dark humus that I'll plant over the next couple of days.

10. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Welcome Nanette,
    You are not that far from me. I usually venture down to Grass Roots a few times a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by