Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Not nearly as nice as Opa's garden, but I'm getting there...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pile of bricks will define the border and the fence panels will keep dogs out of the growing area. The piles of hardwood chippings will be the mushroom mounds at either end.

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Looks great RaZ. Are you even allowed to have a garden in Garden City?? [​IMG]

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I love it-- looks great!!!

4. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I'm not really sure.
    The city was founded on the premise that everyone could have a "garden, orchard and chickens" but there are so many ordinances that contradict the charter.
    For example, one ordinance says that I can't have chickens but another says that I can sell eggs.

A different one says that "no plant can exceed 7 inches in height". So I guess all trees are illegal? And another says that if a horse poops, the owner has to pick it up.

My court order says that I must obey all city ordinances. I have no idea of how to comply with insanity. [​IMG]

5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Raz- looks a lot better than my sand, even after years of amending/ What kind of mushrooms are you going to grow?

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Another good day is winding down. I took Granny to a doctor appointment and she got a good report. Every single medical condition she has has seen great improvement since moving in with Hope and I. Needless to say she is thrilled with all her doctors.

After lunch I planted 40 tomatoes, 12 green bell peppers, 4 yellow bell peppers, 12 brussels sprouts, 4 cauliflower, 16 cucumber, 20 cucumber, and 4 butternut squash plants. Then pruned the trumpet vine on the arbor at the garden's entrance.

Tomorrow I get the sweet corn, beans, and spinach seeds in the ground. Then for the rest of the summer it will be at least an hour each morning with my trusty hoe and 10" rototiller. Chemicals would be much easier but I try to avoid using them if possible. My effort to stay away from chemicals is probably misguided since the reality is that I have more than likely ingested enough over my lifetime that when they slam the lid my body won't rot.

Since all work and no play makes for a rather boring life, I did take some time this evening to assemble the bimini top that came today and install it on the boat. It will work great for providing some shade when sitting on a lake this summer, and the enclosure panels I am going to have made will make an excellent place to get out of the wind and extreme cold when fishing the rivers this winter. An infra red propane heater tucked inside will allow us to fish even with the cold is extreme.

7. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    wait...... are you calling me silly or Silly? LOL!

8. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    did you get them re-homed? (not going to comment on the one peeking either)

9. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    No. These little guys are still here. For some odd reason they are not considered chickens or poultry. At least for now.
    I am so confused.

10. Grammi

Grammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Rogers City, Michigan
    They look like doves to me, or big pigeons!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by