Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Glad to hear avoided the Pokey for now! You never know about those crazy chicken people! Next thing you know he will be growing tomatoes in flower pots on the front porch. Far be in for Garden City to actually have Gardens!

It's getting real warm and muggy here. The school I work in does not have a/c. It's going to get warm and grouchy around that place! Poor kids will be melting on their books
lol.png

Probably not planting this year. Our soil is pretty poor. We will work to amend the soil this year and plant next.

Sitting here listening to the tornado sirens . . . they started out pretty far south (Gaines) and are moving closer. The wind keeps picking up and then it will die down. The foster pups are wondering what the heck all that noise is about. I debated on whether or not to bring the 1 and 2 month old chicks in from their chicken tractor but it should be heavy enough to withstand any higher winds that we get. They won't go up the ramp to the upper level where it's warm and dry - they stay on the lower level and seem quite happy. I put a board up under there so that they will stay dry no matter which way the wind is blowing. The chickens in the big coop will be fine. The ducks are having a blast out in the puddles and seem oblivious to the sirens and weather. Hopefully it will all blow over quickly enough with little or no damage anywhere.

I got 6 chicken eggs and 1 duck egg from my flock today. Nobody appears to be molting or should be molting yet. Except for the broody hens I just can't figure out why they aren't laying like they should . . .

Gaitngirl-- Still not getting eggs? Did you try the FF? I sent my crew to shelter but no sign of anything outdoors when I checked, no leaves, all the dead trees out back are still standing, ducks are totally fine. Sirens still going tho. Hope everybody else is fine.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. My neighbor's other doe had kids last week too. A doeling and a buckling. I will take pictures of them tomorrow. THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!

My dad is getting everyone to sleep in the basement tonight. Bad storm blowing through here, and possible tornadoes. Stay safe everyone.

My son has a project about the life cycle of an animal - he decided to do chickens - we got permission from his teacher to bring in some birds, so we will have an egg, a chick and a hen. And since we didn't have any babies, that gave me an excuse to run to Maybee to pick up a few. ;)

In an unrelated note - Sign up for chicken stock! (see my signature!)

Gaitngirl-- Still not getting eggs? Did you try the FF? I sent my crew to shelter but no sign of anything outdoors when I checked, no leaves, all the dead trees out back are still standing, ducks are totally fine. Sirens still going tho. Hope everybody else is fine.

Hey Holly. I've done soaked feed but I haven't fermented it yet. The chickens and ducks aren't crazy about it. I gave them free choice between that and dry pellets and they keep choosing the pellets. I mixed the pellets in with the soaked and they will eat it then but leave quite a bit, too.
The chicks, on the other hand, love it. Of course they will eat anything that doesn't eat them first, lol. They run me over every feeding time. Literally. I've been working on getting them more used to people since none of them were handled much where they came from. One of the Blue Copper Marans will fly up on my shoulder now when he/she thinks I have mealie treats.
The sirens are still going here and they've extended the weather alerts until 11:30 now. Everyone take care out there and be safe.

Woke this morning and checked for a pulse. Yep, I've got one so it is going to be another good day. I just poured the water in the coffee maker so it will be ready in just a few minutes. Come on in, grab a cup, and let's sit and figure out how to solve the world's problems or at least decide what things needing our attention can be ignored.

Some days it good to plan on just doing nothing. Doing nothing is much more difficult than most people realize. It takes careful planning and a concerted effort. If you aren't real careful you accidentally do something and then you have to start all over.

Rain is once again on the forecast and hopefully there won't be any of the severe weather that we had yesterday. Some areas received as much as 4 inches of rain and if today's round bring very much I sure flooding will be an issue for some folks. The severity of yesterday's storms made me glad that I hadn't just planted. Seeds could have been washed out and the tender tomato plants beaten flat.

Last edited:
I was worried about that Opa,
... The severity of yesterday's storms made me glad that I hadn't just planted. Seeds could have been washed out .....
But I was reading that an old trick was/is to plant just before a heavy rain, the idea is that the rain will drill your seed into the ground. Of course, if you've planted on a hill slope or delicate young plants, then I guess that's a different ball game. My winter sown Cukes and Dill are well at this time, hope my flower seeds germinate quickly now. Well I hope all of y'all and your flocks are safe and well ... And you've got power!!!! And your barns still stand today! Gaitngirl-- if you are already soaking your feed, you're halfway there! Just add some Bragg's next time and let it sit for 3 days or so before you feed it. You'll see the bloom (=the mother) form on the top.

Last edited:
One of the most critical needs for seed germination is a soil temperature of at least 60 degrees. With the weather the fore casters are calling for I don't think that is going to be a problem. Several years ago one of my sons gave me a pair of muck boots. I think that as soon as I get back from taking Granny to a doctors appointment I will pull those boots on and try to get everything planted. With the warm temperatures the seeds should germinate rapidly and the garden will start to look like a garden and not just a piece of ground.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom