Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Amy PT

Amy PT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Michigan
    Lady, I'm sorry you're having a rough time lately. Anxiety is so hard for people who don't experience it to understand. Someone recently recommended this book to me to use in practice with the kids I see, but I haven't looked through it. I'm not sure about the bundling of anxiety and phobia together. http://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook-Edmund-Bourne/dp/1572248912

2. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    opa nice garden set up..

maah that is sweet of you giving the eggs to your neighbor. hope all the treatment works for him..

cold and rainy here..

just getting the loads of laundry done i ignored all weekend. and trying to stay warm.

cute pigs and goats.

3. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Its a good thing you showed up, Farmerboy, probably saved 2 very cute kids.
    Unless I misunderstood the article, the farmer already had the pigs when the regulation was passed. Sort of like some Ohioans are facing with exotic pets. Their "excuse" was to get rid of feral pigs, which to me is odd because people in some parts of the state run pigs loose to get rid of the rattlesnakes they have problems with. Also, as Farmerboy said, pigs are much better off pastured than confined. We have too many laws dictating how things should be that are dictated and passed by people who know nothing about that which they want to regulate. Here's hoping that the small farm council can make some positive changes in that regard.

+

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Great job with the kids! Yea, you definitely saved those little ones! They are darling! I am looking forward to more picture spam of them, if you have the time and your neighbor is cool with it :D

5. Mish

Mish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Macomb, MI
    Opa, I really like your garden setup! I keep going back and forth on having one and I'd better hurry if I decide to. Always end up feeding the local wildlife instead of my family so I won't have one this year unless I do fencing.

Anyone interested in 4 show quality silkie hens? Two white, one buff and one partridge- partridge maybe it looks mostly black? $15 each or all 4 for $48. I'll bring to CS only if someone is interested.

6. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I am so happy and especially grateful to the many supporters who helped me reach the goal. I never would have made it on my own. I'm sure staying out of jail to continue the fight will upset 1 or 2 people. [​IMG]

You have good timing, Daron. Looks like you were in the right spot at the right time and saved mama and her kids.

2 people like this.
  7. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Great job Daron! [​IMG]

[​IMG] I am glad you won't be going to jail!

8. naglady

naglady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    Raz i am glad your not going to jail either.

9. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Me too.
    Although there was the Birdman of Alcatraz, I could have been the Chickenman of DeHoCo. [​IMG]

10. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    An update to the MAEAP certification process that started a few months back.
    After the field tech review, both Mike and I were told that we are not able to be certified because we live in the city. I pressed the technician more information and wrote a few e-mails. I finally got this response in writing,
    "Randy,

In short, the MAEAP Program cannot supersede local laws in the establishment of a farm. We can guide you in the environmental practices, but we can’t verify your operation because it is not located in an appropriated zone.

I will keep you in our records, if you proceed with your case. Let me know if a different verdict comes out.

What are GAAMPs?

The Michigan Right to Farm Act, P.A. 93, was enacted in 1981 to provide farmers with nuisance protection. This state law authorizes the Michigan Commission of Agriculture and Rural Development to develop and adopt Generally Accepted Agricultural and Management Practices (GAAMPs) for farms and farm operations in Michigan. These farm management practices are scientifically based and updated annually to utilize current technology promoting sound environmental stewardship on Michigan farms.

By utilizing GAAMPs, farmers and Michigan residents benefit t: through environmental protection of natural resources; sound management of agricultural inputs; and sustaining a strong and stable agricultural industry.

While adherence to the GAAMPs does not act as a complete barrier to complaints or lawsuits, it does provide an umbrella of protection from nuisance litigation. In addition to conformance to the GAAMPs, farmers also need to comply with all state and federal environmental and agricultural laws.
    "

With other things going on, I didn't get back to MAEAP until today when I called Lansing to get their take on the comments.
    I spoke with Heather (517) 373-9797 and she said that MAEAP is for everyone and gave me the Inspector's cell phone number to make an appointment for the next step.

Heather is also going to check with her supervisor to see if anything has changed recently regarding certifications based on zoning. But as of now, there is no official contraindication for certification.

I suggest everyone call and/or write to get the process started for your own operation.

Last edited: May 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by