Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Crowing

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Get him a few buddies [​IMG]

2. kimmie6067

kimmie6067 Songster

I know but where do I find one?

3. chickflick

chickflick Crowing

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Look at those ears on the pappy!! lol

So sorry about the death of your dog, Tap.. I know how you feel. It's hard loosing a loved pet.

Glad the goat is doing so well.

Funny story Well, at least I think so.

Last week, we had Restore come and pick up the laminate flooring and the ceramic tile that came up in one piece after taking it up. Two young guys came. Told me the chickens were "cool" One asked me if I had a favorite and I told him Muffin because she followed me around like a puppy. I picked her up and the one guy says to the other... "Now you can ask her" So the other guy asked "Where do the eggs come from?" I just turned Muffin around and showed him her fuzzy butt! [​IMG] So he says, "Man, it comes out of her butt?" Asked a bunch of questions about the chickens. Showed them the coop and a few were in there in the nests. Couldn't believe the different colors of the eggs. Those city boys got learned some things. Nice young men. Kept thanking me for showing them the chickens.

Had a great week end camping with the family. Grand kids actually told their moms that they love camping and wish it wouldn't end. Makes me feel good that they enjoy our time together and the memories that we are making.
    Have a good night, all.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I'm really looking forward to what the garden will look like once the tomatoes have wound their way up the strings to the overhead wires. It's necessary to plant a vining type of tomato to accomplish this. As we shopped for indeterminate varieties I found myself saying I need that one, I should get this one, we have to have some of these. Once I got home I found myself with 40 tomato plants. I think I may have overbought . At only $10 per flat I guess I can plant what I have room for and give David the rest.

I just did the math and they will all fit in the 60' I have allocated for tomatoes. If they grow as well as last year's, and if the wire & cord system works as planned it should result in to impenetrable walls of tomatoes.

I had sent my oldest son a picture of the prepared garden just to harass him since his garden is so rocky. He just called asking how I expected to raise anything without rocks to help hold the plants up. While my garden area never was very rocky I am constantly picking up rocks every time I work in it. Now I'm down to picking rocks about the size of a dime. Joe only picks rocks that are larger than his fist.

The area in the Ozarks were he lives is called Stone's Prairie. I assumed that perhaps the original settlers were who the area was named for. After I helped work his garden one spring I decided that it must have been named for the predominant crop....rocks.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  5. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Crowing

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    While this is funny, it is kind of sad in a way too. Sad to know that they had no idea where the eggs came from. I am glad they were educated.

Sam, I have decided not to have a garden this year. Bryan keeps saying that he wants his fresh tomatoes. I told him then maybe we could have a couple of plants in containers. They just don't seem to do well as we keep having problems with blight.

6. minniefarm

minniefarm Chirping

Feb 13, 2013
    Whitmore Lake
    What a wet and cold day. I had plans to get one or two gardens cleaned up and planted. Didn't happen. I had fun watching the chickens in the rain. DH was so worried about them! He even went outside and put them all indoors but left the pop doors open. They all came back outside to play. They did not care one bit about the rain. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. RaZ

RaZ Crowing Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Were they planted in the same place for 2 or more years?

Tomatoes do well in pots. Use fresh soil and a new location. I'll stick a potted tomato here and there in the yard.

8. RaZ

RaZ Crowing Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    She look familiar.

9. She look perty.

10. Trefoil

Trefoil Songster

Dec 7, 2011
    I just read an article about a MI farmer that raises heritage pigs. Evidently the DNR has passed regulations that basically outlaw any pig that isn't white and crated. Here's a link if anybody's interested.
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/blog...m_source=iPost&utm_medium=email#axzz2USsw7H2O
    I wonder if the rare breeds conservatory (?) is aware of this. Which reminds me, has anyone thought to hit up the hatcheries and feed suppliers for a donation to fight the anti chicken prosecution?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by