Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Bob- My step-cousin's wife was out jogging with her newborn baby when out of nowhere a dog attacked her, a friend had pulled the baby to safely while she had to fight the pit bull away. She had bite marks on her legs. Had she was carrying a gun, none if that had happened. The owner is still allowed to keep the dangerous dog, and the mother have to watch her back every time she goes out of the house as the dog only lives a few houses down.

Kimmie, You will not get in trouble for shooting the dog, a man, anything in self-defense. Its called Castle Law.

2. Lisa and girls

Lisa and girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    West Michigan
    I don't trust them either. I grew up with German shepards and growing up with those dogs gives you a respect for what they are capable of. Loyal beyond anything but bringing new people into the house was always a challenge. And I was dragged by the knee by a springer spaniel when I was 3. Our neighbors dog. So I have major trust issues with dogs. If I go running I carry pepper spray and I use it. Might consider getting pepper spray or long range bear spray. One shot of that will make them think twice before making a go of your girls again. And safer than a gun if you've got neighbors close by or don't own one. Although I've got to tell you, learning how to use one and taking it to the range and shooting... First time nerve wracking but after you get through the first clip it's incredibly empowering. And really fun. Plus women are better shots then men. And it's always fun to show up guys at "their" sport :) sorry guys

3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I 2nd the pepper spray. in fact, I think every woman should carry it all the time. We get dogs fairly often out here, if it isn't the neighbor's running loose, then it's one that got dropped off, or the full grown size puppy that broke its chain after its folks left it home alone for the weekend. Every time, responsibility goes back to a human, not a dog. what I'd do is get somebody who sells electric fences, get the business cards and deliver to all. :) No gun necessary. But do make your calls. Most all places have laws on the books regarding allowing dogs to run free. I know here, if you shoot a Licensed Pet, you will have a ticket at the minimum. Do what you will but remember it always goes back to somebody being irresponsible.

4. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Bad dog topic, my DH did shoot a dog last year that was the neighbors. We had read the law and had a copy do it after previous problems. We didn't SSS, we left everything and called the cops. They came took pictures of the dog with feathers in its mouth and would have ticketed the neighbor if they would have claimed the dog. Know your laws beforehand.

Good dog topic, meet Titus.
    [​IMG]
    We were down swampducks way and picked him up today. I wasn't quite ready for a puppy but I think DH stuck at home every day made him want one now. He and the chickens aren't too sure of each other at this point. Hopefully they will learn to like each other.

5. ldelahanty

ldelahanty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Traverse City
    No poisonous stuff. Saw the vet again today andshe is looking better but tested for Mareks...scared

6. HollyDuckFarmer

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Awww so cute. Enjoy that puppy!

7. uchytil

uchytil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Well, since I've been more active again it seems like we lost a ton of people, or they just watch from afar? Anyway, now I'm wondering if we'll see the folks I met last year at CS. I hope so. I tried to contact a few but no joy there. The only reason I mention it is that there were "things" they brought that I wanted to sail home with, lol!

8. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I don't know, sometimes this thread is so active that it is difficult to keep up. Other times it gets kind of slow. I spent most of today outside working on a new kugel bed. So I didn't check very much.

9. HollyDuckFarmer

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Well good and bad news here. In one of my Hugel bed, it looks like my Larkspur **finally** decided to sprout! Yay!

In the oat and bean garden however, it looks like my ducks feasted while I laid down with a migraine. Well I'm sure they enjoyed it. And I know where to get more seed. Hopefully I'm not too late.

10. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    I worked on my hugel garden...
    [​IMG]

Wood debris for a base.
    [​IMG]

Defined a side and added rotted timothy hay on top.
    [​IMG]

Used the yard tractor to mulch the hay.
    [​IMG]

And the supervision staff.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by