Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2012.

1. kathi48836

kathi48836 New Egg

May 31, 2013
    Webberville, Michigan
    Hi Everyone,
    This is my first time on your site. I want to thank Opa for his advise and kindness today at Tractor Supply in Howell. He gave my Husband and I much needed advise on raising laying hens. We had 12 hens about 30 years ago, (when we were young), now in retirement we want to raise chickens and have eggs that we can call truly "fresh". We would like to attend your picnic at the end of the month. Can someone give me more information about it? What should we bring (food, chairs, soda, plates, silverware, etc)? Where is it being held? We live in Webberville along I-96. Thanks again Opa

2. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Welcome Kathi and Hubby,

Some info about Chickenstock cans be found here.
    Michigan Chickenstock
    Saturday June 22nd, 2013. 10am- 3pm
    Mark your calendars and start thinking about what goodies you can bring to share.

Post here or send me a PM and I'll add it to the article created for this purpose, here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/michigan-chickenstock-potluck-food-update.

Your real name is optional but might help the shy folk break the ice.

There is limited power available for crock-pots, so please plan accordingly.

I have to look for the park address...back in a bit.

3. CGChickMama

CGChickMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    Grand Haven, MI
    Hi! I introduced myself a bit ago but have been lurking and learning. There is so much about chickens that I don't think I will ever stop learning. I was hoping to make it to CS for the first time, but the Coast Guard found some money and is putting me into active duty status for a week and my last day is on CS. There is always next year.

4. nluoma

nluoma Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    S.E. Michigan
    My martial arts instructor advises all us women to carry wasp spray, the kind that shoots up to 20 feet. I keep a can in the car and next to the door. One shot of that in the eyes is as good as pepper spray and easier to come by.

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Good job RaZ. Your Hugel looks waayyyyy neater than mine!!

1 person likes this.
  6. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Selective editing, HDF.
    I didn't show the tractor getting stuck or the dogs digging in the bed.
    I have to move those fence panels to keep the pets out of the planting area. And I'm going to set the bee hives at the close end.
    Tomorrow is another day.

7. HollyDuckFarmer

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan

Owwww. Hurts thinking about it. I order my spray online, only thing is shipping is $$$ because technically it is hazmat. So ya, your idea is good.

8. HollyDuckFarmer

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    RaZ, so how'd you get your tractor unstuck? That pic I would've liked to see, because I always do stuff exactly like that. I think it looks great.

Well I was out front today, did a large N facing perennial bed last year with the papers & straw. Has serious barn grass a-growing there this year. Then I look and I decide that the Lillies are way too far in the background. Aggggh the work never ends! Your Goldens are beautiful. Ok, Master Gardener RaZ, here it is: (sorry & thank you in advance)

Any way I can make a Yucca look right in with Lillies? I really don't want to move the yucca, but it doesn't look like it belongs.

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I truly believe that for every kindness you extend more will come your way.

Last night I received an e-mail from my granddaughter stating this dog really needs a home.
    [​IMG]

They live 4 miles from a town of about 250 so I guess their place could considered to b bout in the sticks. Anything found in the ditches or along side the road was placed there illegally and with great effort.

While enroute to a friend's house Morgan thought she heard crying. They stopped and found this puppy in the ditch. It was no where near any houses so it was obvious that someone had discarded it. Joe, who is an expert in the canine industry, felt the pup was only a few hours from death.

After a couple of days he perked up and is doing well. He is a very friendly and calm animal. When Hope came home this evening I showed her the dog's picture and she immediately fell in love with it. I called Joe to tell him we'd take it only to find out that just a hour earlier that had found it a home and it is gone.

10. minniefarm

minniefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    Whitmore Lake
    If she can sit on the dock and dangle her feet over the gunnels and into the boat, she may be able to stand up in the boat in one motion. Might not be so bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by