Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I still have a few more things that I want to plant in the garden and it sounds like I had better get it done this morning. Warm humid weather is ideal for the formation of severe thunderstorms which is what they say could happen this afternoon. I've planted 5 different varieties of sweet corn, each with a different maturation date, and I still have room for one more. This should keep us in corn for several weeks instead of having it all ripe at the same time.

A few more hours of effort and I will have completed reworking the boat to my requirements. I've got to install the transducer for the sonar/gps. Run the wiring for the stern mounted electric trolling motor and that will complete the boat. I've got a new strap for the trailer winch and new safety chains to attach to the trailer and once those are done we should be ready to start fishing.

I've overheard Granny talking to several people about how much she intends to fish this summer. Not wanting to disappoint her I've been trying to think of everything to make sure it goes well. Getting her into the boat could be difficult. Having her step from a dock, that may be moving, into a boat that isn't completely stationary could be a potential disaster. I think that beaching the boat so that it doesn't move and having her enter the boat from the bow will be a more stable method. I found an old swimming pool ladder with hand holds that I've modified to set again the bow and I think using that will make her feel a little for stable and secure.

I currently have 3 Vorwerk hens and all of them have decided to sit on the same 5 eggs. The nest box was sized for bantams and in spite of its small size they are all crammed in it. I wonder if they are going to argue over who is in charge of the chicks when they hatch. I also have a blue laced red Wyandotte that is broody and every day I remove at least 4 eggs from under her. I have been allowing her to keep an egg from a Welsummer and hopefully it is fertile.

Only 3 more weeks until Chickenstock and I am looking forward to seeing those of you that I have met before and meeting those that I haven't. Each year it has gotten to be a larger event and hopefully that trend will continue this year.
If she can sit on the dock and dangle her feet over the gunnels and into the boat, she may be able to stand up in the boat in one motion. Might not be so bad.

RaZ, so how'd you get your tractor unstuck? That pic I would've liked to see, because I always do stuff exactly like that. I think it looks great.

Well I was out front today, did a large N facing perennial bed last year with the papers & straw. Has serious barn grass a-growing there this year. Then I look and I decide that the Lillies are way too far in the background. Aggggh the work never ends! Your Goldens are beautiful. Ok, Master Gardener RaZ, here it is: (sorry & thank you in advance)

Any way I can make a Yucca look right in with Lillies? I really don't want to move the yucca, but it doesn't look like it belongs.
I used grease. Good old-fashion elbow grease. I picked up the back end and set it on those blocks. Just enough traction to get off the pile. That Hugel bed is so soft and fluffy right now. I'm sure the rain that came through will help compact it.
sad.png

I have yucca and lillies in the same bed and I like the way that they look together. Then again, I don't follow the rules.

I had yuccas at the very first house I owned... I loved them. I haven't been able to find anyone round here now that has them for sale. I did however find a bunch on my route in the middle of BFE... Wonder if anyone would notice a white lady with a shovel in the woods digging wholes and think I am up to no good... LOL

Very sweet looking pup.

Tap, your new pup too.

I had yuccas at the very first house I owned... I loved them. I haven't been able to find anyone round here now that has them for sale. I did however find a bunch on my route in the middle of BFE... Wonder if anyone would notice a white lady with a shovel in the woods digging wholes and think I am up to no good... LOL

Very sweet looking pup.

Tap, your new pup too.

I have some yuccas that I will be removing to reclaim the space. Are you going to CS? I can bring you one or two if you like.

After I graduated from HS, a buddy and I took a road trip out West. In some desert in Arizona I dug up a Yucca and brought it home. That plant propagated well and I took starts to every house that I have ever lived in.
I have them here and I'll dig something up and bring it to you at CS.

My yucca this year has a giant bloom a-starting... More reason why I do not wish to move it. If I find babies I can bring also, but wowzie, Nova, at this rate you will have more yucca than you know where to plant! LOL
RaZ, I like it together too, I just feel like the yucca doesn't get to be the star like it should be. One day I'd love to line my drive with a long row of specimen Yuccas. I was just gifted a ton of Siberian Iris, i think behind the Lillie's and yucca. thoughts? I've also got 3 tiny RoseofSharons, maybe it's them that don't belong? RaZ can you send me a pic of your yucca with Lillie's?

312211_647910048557178_2146539827_n.jpg
My new puppy, Otis. He is such a good puppy! No crying at night, no accidents. My other dog's name is Milo.

RaZ, you are such a criminal!! You do know it's illegal to dig up any plants in the deserts of AZ! One of these days you are gonna end up in jail!
lau.gif
Oh, you can see my new wood floor. Not quite finished, but almost!
Like · · Promote · Share

Back
Top Bottom