Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Love the chicken pics Nova. It reminds me of "chicken planking" the way the first two are lying on your hand with their legs back.
big_smile.png

Laura, we love those and have a few that nest in our woods. The pileated Woodpecker, like the one shown, is a pretty uncommon, and wary, bird. You are lucky to get shots like that.
We were lucky to have a nest of them here one year. I saw about 5 or 6 of them at the same time in our driveway.
We have a TON (pretty sure that pic is the same) them; and while I love them, they love my log home, too!
Uh oh! Not good!

Great idea for all of you in West Michigan to have an extra smaller meet-up! For the same reason (not to take away from Chickenstock, just to add to fun for the year). There should be an extra East Michigan meetup too. If there's interest I can look into parks in Northern Macomb County. I think a past year there were discussions about having a meetup at someone's house and there just ends up being too many liability issues - maybe this was for Chickenstock North discussions?

Silly, I have this boy, and he can be paired with either a phoenix hen or a yokohama hen. I have a white pullet, would you be interested in this guy? Or would you prefer a darker pairing like these two...The boy, That's Ed, he's staying here, but I have another one who looks nearly identical, only his come is more of a black, but otherwise the same color.

Ahhh... decisions decisions! Are the white one's yokohama? What are the darker birds? and would you be able to toss up a pick of the other male? I'm leaning toward the white.. but would like to see the pullet and other male before I decide. Thank you!

opa sounds so good.. wish i was going to cs..

lady sorry about your cat.. Big Hugs..
hugs.gif

Nova your chickens are beautiful..

last night the guinnea keets started hatching and i had turner in incubator.. well i looked in there and one was stuck between side wall and almost under turner, i hurried up and took turner out and grabbed the other 3 that were hatched and put them in the brooder, and layed eggs in incubator.. so that way i could sleep and not worry that they will get stuck and die..

out of the 4 in the brooder, 3 of them are splayed leg.. so i used bread ties instead of bandaides to help them stand and get strength in thier legs.. its working all of them are standing..
i also have 6 running around in the incubator.. still have 16 egg unhatched and 1 egg zipped .. .
fl.gif

Last edited:
I buried the cat and you know, I'm not really attached to most of the barn cats but it was really sad how she was wedged in her hiding place, head first, paws covering her face. I wish I knew who was putting out the poison. I'd put a big sign on my property calling for an end to the poisoning but I just moved here last year and don't want to make enemies by accusing the entire neighborhood.

sad.png

Finally... it took 2 years but I'm finally getting my replacement plant after the county road sprayed and killed one They killed an old lilac at the corner of my property by the road. I mow the grass and the plant was more than 30 ft from the center of the road... there was no reason for them to spray beyond the county's set back onto my property to kill it! Since there was no way to replace the lilac, I told them a pine tree would be an acceptable replacement. So I stopped at a nursery last night and got a quote and a photo to send him. This morning he said it's a done deal (what ever that means)... So I'll be following up with the nursery later today to make sure the deal is indeed done!

opa sounds so good.. wish i was going to cs..

lady sorry about your cat.. Big Hugs..
hugs.gif

Nova your chickens are beautiful..

last night the guinnea keets started hatching and i had turner in incubator.. well i looked in there and one was stuck between side wall and almost under turner, i hurried up and took turner out and grabbed the other 3 that were hatched and put them in the brooder, and layed eggs in incubator.. so that way i could sleep and not worry that they will get stuck and die..

out of the 4 in the brooder, 3 of them are splayed leg.. so i used bread ties instead of bandaides to help them stand and get strength in thier legs.. its working all of them are standing..
i also have 6 running around in the incubator.. still have 16 egg unhatched and 1 egg zipped .. .
fl.gif

Put some of that kitchen rubber grip shelf liner stuff in the brooder (& in the incubator at lockdown, though I know you were able to catch that with these kiddos). It helps to keep them from getting the splayed legs, and will help your kiddos that already have it get better traction to heal. Best of luck.
hugs.gif

I buried the cat and you know, I'm not really attached to most of the barn cats but it was really sad how she was wedged in her hiding place, head first, paws covering her face. I wish I knew who was putting out the poison. I'd put a big sign on my property calling for an end to the poisoning but I just moved here last year and don't want to make enemies by accusing the entire neighborhood.

sad.png
Ah, the poor baby...I know we sometimes need to "eradicate" certain critters to help keep safe some of our pets, livestock, etc. But poison so often ends up hurting some the exact babies we are trying to protect...thus, it is never an option I have or WOULD turn to....

Trying to think of a "tactful" way you could get your point across without appearing accusatory but simply a "concerned" neighbor/citizen
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom