Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Coffee.jpg

This is the plan today!

Chia seeds are my favorite! Now you can get them at Costco and they are actually pretty cheap compared to what I had to pay before they became mainstream. (Thank you Dr. Oz) I think a two pound bag, which lasts long, long time. For about 10 dollars. I've been seeing that recipe around pinterest and Facebook and wanting to try it. Let Mr know how it turns out!

I'll have to see if Sam's has Chia seeds - I've been meaning to try them myself.
I only got 3 eggs yesterday :(. And today my turkey laid the tiniest egg I've ever gotten from her - it was the size of a pullet egg, lol. She did have the grace to look a bit embarrassed. When I fed the coops today - after being woken bright and early by 2 roos having a crowing contest - one girl was in a nesting box and another hopped in after she ate. I really need these girls to come out of their funk. I've got people begging me for eggs!

Also, my turkey hen still hasn't grown back any of her feathers. I've had her for almost 2 months now, I think. She is bare from her breast and all of her underside to just under her wings. I never saw any evidence of lice, mites, etc. but I treated her anyway (I used Frontline). I sprayed her sleeping area (it's an open-ended lean-to). I'm not sure what to do about her for winter - she's going to freeze! Everyone says I should have her processed but I don't know her history (she was a rescue of sorts) and since I've given her Frontline I don't know if it's even safe to eat her. Plus, I like having her around, lol. After the Mareks scare this spring, I quarantined all of my newbies next to her and I've had no more issues. The last lot is just over 4 months old and are totally healthy - some are even laying. In a couple more weeks they will go into the big coop with the main flock. The only ones I may keep separate are the Welsummers - if I keep the roo (Special K). After this morning's crowfest I was ready to go back to just one roo. The instigator was Boots, a Salmon Faverolle roo, who is housed behind a horse barn a couple hundred feet away. I could just barely hear him, but apparently Cruiser, my main roo, could hear him just fine! I don't know how those two are going to do together when the time comes . . .

Hello everyone.

I have moved back to the US and am stuck without chickens. The import ban meant that a lot of work and care has just been lost (in addition to many other things) and I have to start over from scratch.
I have an incubator ready to rebuild my team and am looking for fertile eggs to fill it with.

Shipping would be paid, or I can come get them if you are close enough.

I'm very interested in any black skinned chickens, interesting and color patterns or egg colors
Anyone willing to share their flock with me please give me a PM and we can work out whatever terms you have in mind.

Thanks everyone for reading and any help you can give me.

I'm from Zeba little village out of L'Anse Michigan and want to start a Coop and looking for some hardy chicks to keep up here in Michigan cold country hoping this site will help and as I learn to get around on it ask some questions

L'Anse, very chilly up there! But at least you have yummy cinnamon rolls to get ya'll through the winter, haha!

There are plenty of breeds that are cold hardly. Most of the cold hardy ones are fluffy birds with small combs. For example, Leghorns aren't considered good in the cold because of their thinner feathering and huge comb (prone to heat loss, frostbite), while chanteclers are a breed bred in Canada!

I keep Araucanas. They're hardy blue egg layers, and a rare breed. I had one girl get frostbite on her toes this past winter, but since NOBODY else in the flock did, I think she did something stupid like standing in the water in the winter. My first winter, no chickens had cold injuries. Araucanas have tiny little pea combs, even the male comb is small. So it helps them against the cold. They go out and free range even when there is deep snow on the ground! They only stay in if it is very windy.

I'm from Zeba little village out of L'Anse Michigan and want to start a Coop and looking for some hardy chicks to keep up here in Michigan cold country hoping this site will help and as I learn to get around on it ask some questions

I'm at the tip of the mitten so we have real winters but not like you way up there. The most cold hardy I've had are Russian Orloffs, they are hard to find. Mine were out wading snow most of the winter. They only stayed in for high winds.

What a dreary day. 55 degrees, rain and wind. My outdoor work was put on hold and I did the enormous stack of mending that had piled up this summer while watching "I love Lucy". I found a home for 2 of my OEG bantam Roos which was a good thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom