Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

sad.png
Lost chicken # 2 today to dog attack. Neighbor a mile away has lab and a pit bull/boxer mix. Apparently they will break their chains. I guess we were lucky they only got little Diggie...she was such a personality. We nicknamed her "Louie" because she always "coo coo" ed like a trumpet when talking to us. RIP Diggie
hit.gif

She is the one on the bottom right

A rifle will solve that dog problem. Since the dog has been there once, it WILL be back. It has found something fun and tasty to play with (your chickens).

:( Lost chicken # 2 today to dog attack. Neighbor a mile away has lab and a pit bull/boxer mix. Apparently they will break their chains. I guess we were lucky they only got little Diggie...she was such a personality. We nicknamed her "Louie" because she always "coo coo" ed like a trumpet when talking to us. RIP Diggie :hit She is the one on the bottom right
Sorry for your loss. :(

Losses from dogs seem to hit us harder than the losses we almost expect from 'wildlife'. So sorry for your losses. I just lost a young Muscovy hen to one of my foster dogs. She either flew over or flew into their fenced-in area and one of them got her. The dogs are almost a year old, brothers, mostly retriever/chow mixes. The boy that got her was so proud of himself. He is the same one that killed one of my Isa Brown hens earlier this summer. Now he stalks them through the fence. I'm not quite sure what to do. The other 2 brothers haven't acquired a 'taste' for my birds yet and both respond well to commands but, unfortunately this boy will have to go to a home with no poultry (or any nearby). I don't have any experience with trying to train this out of a dog - if it can even be done once they've killed . . . The rescue I foster for has been unable to locate another foster home and he's had several adoptions fall through (not by any fault of his, mostly just circumstance). We are actually adopting one of the boys (who ignores all of the chickens and ducks) who has medical issues (severe, expensive allergies - he's probably even allergic to chickens!).

Last edited:
Sorry about your loss there Five.

I think it hits us "harder" when it's a neighbors pet than when it's wild life, because we expect the neighbors to keep their dogs in their yards. The only dogs that have killed chickens here are my own. It's the boston that is the ring leader there. The puggle... she could care less, unless the boston starts it. Anyway, it's still just as frustrating when it's to wild life, but we deal with that on a different level. They need to eat too, and we have for the most part, moved into their turf. It just sucks the most when they take out so many, and only one is actually missing. Here where I am at , it's coons that are my problem. I have now gone to the extent of fencing the roofs under the tarps, as well as the floors of the runs I have been putting together. If the coop and run are going to be not moved, I will dump crushed concrete, or paving base over the fencing a few inches, rakes up real nice, washes out real nice too. At least now after the last coon attack, I am sleeping more peacefully at night, not worrying as much about losing birds to the demon coons. I can't do anything about the hawks, and hawk season is coming up...

Back
Top Bottom