Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Trying to follow this conversation, sorry my brain's been tied up in losing my hen and trying to figure out what went wrong......

Buut. Did i get this right? So basically the township DOES have zoning maps, but even if you are ag you still not be able? Or is this only applicable if you are in zone 3? And they can change your zone while you still own it??? And to the 1500 bit doesn't that only apply to livestock production and not our simple livestock facilities that most of us have???

Other questions were does this apply to horses and rabbits this time around? Last year it did, i think if it still does we need to splash this around some equestrian clubs than!!! Horse lovers are just as fanatical about their critters as we are! Small dairy farms oddly enough have also been quiet, though it will most likely affect them the most. (Not that we won't be devastated, but that to them is literally their livelihood as well) ??????

Still tossing the idea around that my hen may have been the victim of a bad bag of feed; timeline is right. I just bought this last bag during the thaw, before the freeze. That's around the time my dove also started acting a bit "off". On the days i let him out of his cage for the whole day; he pecks in their spilled crumbles. Days he was out, pooped funny. Days in, fine.
Eta that these two were raised with my dove as chicks, and that he has been picking in crumble for most of a year now, he is 2 and finicky and likes variety or he'll eat less, too. He thinks this is roughage, apparently. Dang critters.

Also seeing tarry but firm droppings scattered around now; no one wants to touch the crumble. Some droppings are somewhat normal but a brighter shade of green, almost crayon? Inside birds weren't given the corn, outside ones were. Inside ones weren't given the antibiotics, ouside was. Outside ones got to choose not to eat it and been eating more corn and hay seeds than anything else, and had antibiotics to boot if they did eat mold.

Still unsure, but yanking the food in question. So of the things that were different the last week, week and a half ago here goes: Indoor birds went into a severe molt, though they had just molted in the late fall. Ate more, poops loose. My hen that died drank huge quantities of water the last couple days. She had been laying a couple times a week, but went off lay and the last egg was thin and broke. Has anyone else ever had a confirmed case of tainted feed? Does this sound similar?

I was trying to research this online and found this:
This is gross. They actually "recycle" cat/ dog food into chicken feed. Which isn't making me feel better.
http://www.wthr.com/story/6456778/tainted-chicken-feed-has-consumers-worried

It could have been a sickness, yet. Still not out of the woods. I can't afford an autopsy, so if this continues i'll have to take poop samples somewhere and maybe blood samples? Or a sick chicken in. Maurice may suicide yet. He won't barely eat, but is perfectly healthy. Very depressed without his mate. I have him in with another hen, to try, but if he don't start eating by tonight i will lose him as well. He's pooping normal still.

Last edited:
I lost two cockerels last spring to what I think was a bad bag of Dumor grower feed. No one but the chicks were eating it and no one else suffered so I suspect it was the feed. But I can't prove it.

Last edited:
And i get laughed at for trying to make the ultimate chicken diaper! :p I may not be the only one needing one if this stuff goes through.

Trying to follow this conversation, sorry my brain's been tied up in losing my hen and trying to figure out what went wrong......

Buut. Did i get this right? So basically the township DOES have zoning maps, but even if you are ag you still not be able? Or is this only applicable if you are in zone 3? And they can change your zone while you still own it??? And to the 1500 bit doesn't that only apply to livestock production and not our simple livestock facilities that most of us have???

Other questions were does this apply to horses and rabbits this time around? Last year it did, i think if it still does we need to splash this around some equestrian clubs than!!! Horse lovers are just as fanatical about their critters as we are! Small dairy farms oddly enough have also been quiet, though it will most likely affect them the most. (Not that we won't be devastated, but that to them is literally their livelihood as well) ??????

Yes you can get a zoneing map from your township (try on line)... mine is

http://www.region2planning.com/webs...g_Ordinances/ZoningMaps/Jackson/NorvellTo.pdf

Category 3: states that even if zoned AG new livestock productions facilities aren't, nor can current expand,,, but livestock facilities, MAY be... but puts the choice in the hands of township officials.

In my township.. people right in town, can have a horse on 3 acres min but nothing else except basic pets.. rabbits, pets?.. but I don't know about for meat production.

I found mine. Interesting. Ag. zoning is literally across the road from me and just yards to the east. But my R-1 supposedly allows farming AND markets. When we bought the house the plat information stated that we were allowed 3 horses or 3 cows or nine sheep AND 20 chickens. heheh.

R-1 - RURAL RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT
The R-1 District identifies areas intended for low-density, large-lot home sites in a rural setting allowing scattered homes on large parcels of land in locations that do not impact unique farmland or diminish forest and woodlands. Home sites should be placed in such a manner so as to not degrade the rural character of the area, damage natural systems, or create the need for additional Township services. Existing agricultural uses should be preserved especially for maintaining rural character, lowering residential densities, and buffering smaller-lot, single-family areas. This zoning district is consistent with the rural residential land designation, as described in the Township Plan.
6.02 USES ALLOWED BY RIGHT
The following uses are allowed by right: (Amended June 19th, 2006) (Ord. No. 12-01, eff. Jan. 2, 2013)
A. Essential services.
B. Farming, together with dwellings and accessory structures thereto.
C. Single-family dwellings.
D. State Licensed Residential Facilities.
E. Farm Markets as regulated by 5.07.
F. Community Supported Agriculture (or CSA) where a farm operation produces farm products for a group of farm members or subscribers who pay in advance for their share of the harvest, and receive their share either by coming to the farm to pick up their harvest, or by delivery of the harvest to a designated place. A CSA use shall not require site plan approval according to the requirements of Article 18 of this Ordinance, but shall require approval by the Zoning Administrator according to the requirements of Section 5.08 B. and C.
G. U-Pick operation where a farm operation provides the opportunity for customers to harvest their own farm products directly from the plant at the farm operation. A U-Pick operation shall not require site plan approval according to the requirements of Article 18 of this Ordinance, but shall require approval by the Zoning Administrator according to the requirements of Section 5.08 B. and C.
H. Uses which utilize farm land or farm equipment for rural recreation/amusement enterprises, which take place substantially outdoors, in conjunction with an active farm operation and which are called "Rural Recreation/Amusement Enterprises." Such uses include crop mazes, hay rides, horse rides, petting farms, bicycle and foot trails, pumpkin/gourd picking, haunted trails and barns, play-scapes, fishing, bonfires, and cider mills (non-alcoholic) for on-site sales and consumption only. Such uses are subject to the requirements of Section 5.08 B. - E., except that review and approval shall be by the Zoning Administrator. As an accessory to rural recreation/amusement enterprises, the limited sale of pre-packaged snack foods, non-alcoholic beverages, and baked goods not produced on the premises but for consumption on the premises shall be allowed.

I quoted the title of Joel Salatin's book because I find it very appropriate fuel for Michigan's small farmers. If you haven't read "Folks, This Ain't Normal", I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
And i get laughed at for trying to make the ultimate chicken diaper! :p I may not be the only one needing one if this stuff goes through.

House pets could be affected as well. Even therapy animals are targets. There are two (2) cases pending about special needs children and their therapy chickens. That is a whole different thing perhaps but those people are still targets.

The current administrative action is directed specifically towards backyard chicken keepers, but it applies to any critter that can be considered as livestock. Horses, rabbits, fibre producing goats, sheep, alpacas; honey-bees, heritage hogs, earthworms, crickets, minnows, etc. You get the idea. I'm surprised that the bee-keeping community has not been involved.

Yes you can get a zoneing map from your township (try on line)... mine is

Category 3: states that even if zoned AG new livestock productions facilities aren't, nor can current expand,,, but livestock facilities, MAY be... but puts the choice in the hands of township officials.
In looking at your specific zoning map, check the date of publication and the source of information. You can compare that to your property legal description. In my town, they tried to use a GoogleMap photo as "proof" of my zoning because the clerk admitted that the plat maps were not accurate and had not been updated since 1963. So don't trust your friendly official.

Even if one is covered under Category 3 and can legally (at local level) have livestock, you can't "expand" without permission. You can't even replace an animal that is lost. If this change goes through.

Last edited:
I found mine. Interesting. Ag. zoning is literally across the road from me and just yards to the east. But my R-1 supposedly allows farming AND markets. When we bought the house the plat information stated that we were allowed 3 horses or 3 cows or nine sheep AND 20 chickens. heheh.
That R-1 designation automatically would put you into Category 4 regardless of what you are currently allowed under the proposed changes. You then are governed solely on the whim of your local officials.

The crazy thing is local description of what animals are allowed. In your case, 1 horse = 1 cow = 3 sheep = 6.67 (7) chickens. Does that make any sense at all? There are logic data, based on sound science which describes the area needed to house and raise livestock.

That R-1 designation automatically would put you into Category 4 regardless of what you are currently allowed under the proposed changes. You then are governed solely on the whim of your local officials.

The crazy thing is local description of what animals are allowed. In your case, 1 horse = 1 cow = 3 sheep = 6.67 (7) chickens. Does that make any sense at all? There are logic data, based on sound science which describes the area needed to house and raise livestock.

Yah, I figured as much.

Hello Fellow Michiganders,

Thanks for your postings during the cold weather...I was reading all of them and was happily reassured. My one polish hen and two mix breed bantams did just fine, even with no heat or insulation in their little backyard coop. We did tarp them off and added extra straw and that seemed to do the trick.

I am wondering if anyone in Michigan might have some bantam faverolle hatching eggs for sale this spring? I have had polish and silkie eggs shipped in and haven't had a whole lot of luck with hatching after shipping. I would like to try picking up the faverolle eggs and seeing if I have better luck that way. I live in Brooklyn but will be traveling a lot this year (including up north), so I can pretty much pick up eggs from most anywhere in Michigan. Please let me know if anyone will have bantam faverolle hatching eggs or if anyone knows where I can get some.

Thanks!

Shelly

Back
Top Bottom