Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Yes. I just checked. Definitely no eyes :( And he had a bad case of pasty butt. I soaked him and cleaned it, but I dont think he's eaten since he was hatched Tuesday. So sad to receive this little guy, especially from a breeder. I know I got the "rejects" from him, but I'm really surprised I got a no eyed chick. Not sure what to do with him. Never had to cull a chick before and I'm all teary thinking about it :( I also found a growth on his abdomen. Here is a picture. No idea what it is.

You sure they weren't just sealed shut? I've had those before. the "growth" could have been yolk sac that hadn't fallen off or been absorbed... which is nothing to worry about (don't pull it off if you see it on another chick some day). Contact the seller and ask for a new chick or credit.

Seriously guys, any culling method that does not result in immediate death is not humane. Freezing, drowning, chemicals, gassing etc. are a slow death that causes undue suffering. There are only two ways to cull instantly, that is cervical dislocation or severe brain trauma. ie, cut off it's head or crush it's skull. Neither are very pleasant........ but, if we are going to be a good steward to our livestock, we must face the day where we need to cull. Culling methods are not suppose to be nicer for us to manage, but to the very best benefit of our livestock.

Seriously guys, any culling method that does not result in immediate death is not humane.  Freezing, drowning, chemicals, gassing etc.  are a slow death that causes undue suffering.  There are only two ways to cull instantly, that is cervical dislocation or severe brain trauma.  ie, cut off it's head or crush it's skull.   Neither are very pleasant........ but, if we are going to be a good steward to our livestock, we must face the day where we need to cull.   Culling methods are not suppose to be nicer for us to manage, but to the very best benefit of our livestock.

Absolute agreement here. I have 3 ducks in my freezer at the moment, but they went to the butcher first. I think the idea of culling in the freezer is pretty horrible and not at all congruent with good stewardship.

Last edited:
Seriously guys, any culling method that does not result in immediate death is not humane. Freezing, drowning, chemicals, gassing etc. are a slow death that causes undue suffering. There are only two ways to cull instantly, that is cervical dislocation or severe brain trauma. ie, cut off it's head or crush it's skull. Neither are very pleasant........ but, if we are going to be a good steward to our livestock, we must face the day where we need to cull. Culling methods are not suppose to be nicer for us to manage, but to the very best benefit of our livestock.

Quoted for truth!

Good morning, all.

Haven't posted in a few weeks.

Welcome to all the newcomers. Hope everyone can make it to Chickenstock in June...sure glad I went last year for my first time.

Congrats on all the new babies (birds, etc!), LOVE all the pix.
Sorry for all the losses/illnesses.

My birds are laying well now. Getting an average of 8/day from 10 layers; some days 10/10. They all just turned 1 y.o. this week (except the BCMs who are a few weeks older).

Nice that it's gonna be 60 tomorrow...too bad I am leaving for the airport in about 2 hours to head to the Boston area (Hanscom AFB) & will miss it. ANOTHER class....

Guess I should go pack...

I am blaming the snow..... I just went wild on egg bidding. So now I have Call Duck, Guinea and Turkey eggs coming along with Serama, which of course in our local can't live without heat. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but they were SO cute and DS talked me into it.
hu.gif
And here's the kicker, my DH who harasses me about my 'addiction' went when I wasn't looking and added more money to my bids so I wouldn't lose the eggs.

After my culling incident, where the roo thought I was giving him a spinal adjustment, I now have my husband or brother take care of them for me. I would love to find one of those tools, the cervical dislocater that you just put their head in.

Love the goat pictures!

Off to a sledding party after church, I will not be sledding but I think I will take my camera and snowshoes. My son is sledding and DH is taking the snowmobile to pull kids up the hill.

I'm off to see if Gunther the hen survived the night, it didn't look good last night.

You sure they weren't just sealed shut? I've had those before. the "growth" could have been yolk sac that hadn't fallen off or been absorbed... which is nothing to worry about (don't pull it off if you see it on another chick some day). Contact the seller and ask for a new chick or credit.
I'm positive they werent sealed shut. When I gently opened them I could see the hollows :(

Aww. So sorry taprock. I wish i had more to offer for advise. The others are still looking good? No unusual poops from them? I bumped your thread again....:(
((((Hugs))))

Tori the other chicks could have pecked her eyes out. Never seen it personally but it can happen; baby birds are not trying to be mean they just don't know and are naturally curious.

If the baby in question was slow for whatever reason it could well happen. I have seen some pretty close calls in chick bins!!! The eyes then would naturally seal shut. Looks like the navel didnt heal right from hatching which would have made him slower and given the others something to be curious about.
I have not delt with them but i had thought they were reputable-call them for sure so you get another and so he knows he needs to watch the chicks a little. Could be hos incubator went wacky or the chicks could be overcrowded there. A reputable breeder would want to know!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom