Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Did you dip his besk in water when you homed him? If he has no eyes you are going to have to make sure he finds the food & water, otherwise he'll starve.
Yes, he drank but I cant get him to eat. He wont peck at the food. And I'm not sure he'll be able to get himself back to the water to drink on a regular basis.

@tori8780 // Oh, that is so sad! I'm with you...I feel like I would want to cull him, but I could never do it myself. Poor thing! What breeder did you go through?
hit.gif

Oh that stinks, Tori!
sad.png

They probably just missed him when they sorted....hard to cull any chicken, but it's often better for them in the long run.

Had to cull one of my last hatch, was not fun-sharp scissors over the garbage can outside, but glad when it was over and very relieved the chick was no longer suffering.

Yes. I just checked. Definitely no eyes :( And he had a bad case of pasty butt. I soaked him and cleaned it, but I dont think he's eaten since he was hatched Tuesday. So sad to receive this little guy, especially from a breeder. I know I got the "rejects" from him, but I'm really surprised I got a no eyed chick. Not sure what to do with him. Never had to cull a chick before and I'm all teary thinking about it :( I also found a growth on his abdomen. Here is a picture. No idea what it is.
Sadly it's best to cull him. I've heard others put them in a bag in the freezer.

I hear tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful weather.

I am torn between doing the wise thing, and building my coop before I get birds, and just getting the chicks (I have everything I need to put together a brooder) and then building the coop/run while they mature.

On one hand, I like to be prepared - have the coop before the bird.

On the other hand, I tend to work a little more efficiently when there is a time crunch.

Jerabu, west get us quite unpredictable! Start building. It rained so much last year that it took us 4 months to build ours. Never too early to start!

Hi michigan people,

Can I ask a question? I have 3 chickens I hatched out in the beginning of December, which puts them at about 4 months old now. They have lived in my spare bedroom since they hatched. I have a coop outside for them, but until recently it was buried under a mound of snow my plow guy created. :p. Would it be safe to move them outside into the coop now, or will the change in temp be too drastic for them? I can't heat the coop, but it is well built, no drafts.

I have one other project to complete before starting my coop. Building a rack to house my ball pythons. Might be able to get it done as early as tomorrow, depending on a few things. Pieces are cut, just have to seal them, and put them together.

Do I need to seal the wood I use to make my coop? I'm assuming yes, since it will be exposed to the elements....

Yes. I just checked. Definitely no eyes :( And he had a bad case of pasty butt. I soaked him and cleaned it, but I dont think he's eaten since he was hatched Tuesday. So sad to receive this little guy, especially from a breeder. I know I got the "rejects" from him, but I'm really surprised I got a no eyed chick. Not sure what to do with him. Never had to cull a chick before and I'm all teary thinking about it :( I also found a growth on his abdomen. Here is a picture. No idea what it is.

Yeah, I'd cull. I culled one that couldn't walk. Its leg was stuck facing backwards and toes curled. Though I know it *could* have been splinted and booted, I just don't have the time and energy to invest in a chick like that right now.

Back
Top Bottom