Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

It's hard to believe that there were so many storms and so much damage this weekend. Here in the burbs it was a picture perfect weekend. Heck, it is still 70 degrees at 8:35 pm. But it is Michigan and all that could change in a matter of minutes.

The canaries have been exploring every corner of the aviary and the young parakeets are nearly ready to join them. Maybe tomorrow in the big aviary, for tonight the barrier has been removed and all seems well. There are three separate puppy piles all sleeping in harmony.

It's kind of sad but the crocus are on their last legs. All those beautiful flowers are spent and fading. But the tulips have buds and other things are emerging and looking great. My pond is up to 58 degrees and it looks like the koi have survived the winter. They look to be plump and healthy. And I won't be sharing them with any dolphins.

Hi Guys......Just popping in to ask a question but first I want to say I hope everyone weathered the storms that rolled through last night. We basically just had the thunder and lighting along with the rain, nothing serious and not a lot of high winds. My question: Does anyone know what days of the week Westover's in Caro is open? I know they are open only 3 days out of the week but I can't remember which days and cannot find any info on the web. Replies appreciated....I need to get rid of those 3 Roosters I got as rescues back in the early fall.

Channel 17 news has a lot of pics. Sparta and rockford and muskegon had extensive damage. One barn in sparta was nothing but matchsticks but the livestock lived through it. I am hoping daron reports in? Everything ok? Urchytil?

Thanks Fuzzy for thinking of me. :hugs
Yup, it was quite a storm. My girlfriend and and I was outside with the cows when this amazing storm rolled in. My beautiful helper and I was repairing the door of the milk shed that the cows and goats wrecked, and we were keeping our eye on this storm marching toward us. It was beautiful, there was many colors and shapes of the clouds. I did not even know that there was a storm coming. Then it hit us with 70+ mph winds, blowing dust in our eyes, and I yelled NOOOO when I saw all the stuff that I had cleaned up and stacked blowing around. The trees were whipping in the wind very bad. Then I looked to the east, and could see bunch of white stuff floating down, and I said, "Oh wow, its snow!" Then a few seconds later the "snow" started pounding the metal roof of the milk shed and the cows and calves. The hail was about an inch long. The calves were running around in circles with their eyes shut. I felt bad for them, they had a shed, but Bella was standing in the doorway blocking them from coming in. Then it poured cats and dogs. We did not lose power, just a spruce tree that my mom planted 20 years ago and about 8 shingles from the house roof and a very messy yard. I thank God for keeping us safe. :)

It is still very windy this morning. Our baby chicks we hatched in the incubator are doing great. We are still waiting for more to hatch. Crazy Michigan weather.:D

Phew. Glad everything was ok! I always worry about everyone and their critters when stuff happens. I still haven't had a reply back from myfriend in sparta about whether she can stay in her house so i'm assuming she's elsewhere and can't. I hope ins covers the tree damage and don't call it "act of God" :(

Quote:
I have EE of many colors, some very pretty reddish brown I don't think there is any " color" specifics .
The biggest indicator that you have an ee cockerel is red feathering in the shoulder area. There's no standard colors as they are mutts and you can use just about anything to make them.

Here are some pictures to back up my theory that this little EE is a cockerel. What I meant by the feather patterning not being consistent with a pullet, is that female's will tend to feather out more consistent and blended. When the pattern tends to be blotchy, especially with the red in the shoulder area, will be a cockerel. When this little tyke from the pullet bin started feathering in, I was concerned with the pattern between the grey and the brown. I was holding out hope that as more feathers came in, that it would start to blend together in a more pullet fashion. I'm even more convinced now with the darker red coming in when I lift up the grey feathers on the back of his neck that this is a cockerel. I will be shocked, though very happy to be wrong, if this ends up a pullet. I'll say, if this does end up a pullet, I'll be hatching some of her eggs.
smile.png
Whatcha think? Between this Easter Egger and the Buff Orpington, pretty sure I got 2 roos out of 8 chicks from "pullet bins" at FF&H this year. All well.

No, those are not my stubby 1/2 painted fingernails... those are DD.
lol.png
More pics to come as DD took the older chicks on a "field trip" yesterday. LOL.

Well, I said I wasn't getting anymore chickens... but my broody uggo hens had other plans. 3 hatched so far... of the three, 2 are necked necks one is 'normal'.

this little one is one of the NN's... very cute. Haven't had one this color before. I only had one uggo hatch and not sure how far along the others were.... so I went to FFH and got 3 guinea hen chicks and a brahma pullet to keep the one chick company... I pulled the chicks from mom cause they already crushed one. I may opt to put them back with the moms, though I am not sure yet. I may let the hens run with Uggo and the two garage hens and keep the smaller coop for a rooster grow pen. I have a large packing crate that I will be converting to a long coop for the uggo hens.

glad everyone is ok so far from the storms...

Last edited:
Well, I said I wasn't getting anymore chickens... but my broody uggo hens had other plans. 3 hatched so far... of the three, 2 are necked necks one is 'normal'.
this little one is one of the NN's... very cute. Haven't had one this color before.

Those are so cute.
love.gif
Love little chicks. :)

I ended up pulling my drake out of the coop because he was making the girls go bald. Any ideas of when I could put him back? I don't really want him and if he has to be in solitary confinement for more than a few weeks he may just end up in the oven….

Back
Top Bottom