Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Ugh. I just noticed today that our hens have been sneaking their way through a hole between their side and where we have our 12 week olds, and eating the medicated chick starter. I have no idea how long this has been going on. Should we toss all of the eggs we have?

Hey Hillbilly Hen, just noticed you live by my mama up there.
thumbsup.gif
Where? If you are ever out this way stop in and say Hi.

I had my 3 week old ducklings in the yard playing and one consumed one of these before I could stop him. Should I be concerned? Are they poisonus to ducks?

Ugh.  I just noticed today that our hens have been sneaking their way through a hole between their side and where we have our 12 week olds, and eating the medicated chick starter.  I have no idea how long this has been going on.  Should we toss all of the eggs we have?

There's no medication in the feed, so the eggs are fine.

Yep, last time I had a list with me it disappeared in the paper goods section, couldn't remember what else was on it after paper towels.

"Medicated" means a niacin inhibitor, the eggs may have lower than normal niacin levels, which probably would only be important if you were going to hatch them.

Are you using a still air or circulated (fan) incubator?  That's a BIG range, either way.  I believe that some recommend a slightly higher temp (100-101) for still air, but don't hold me to that.  ;)  Definitely calibrate!  My genesis ran perfectly off the factory thermometer last year, and was 3 degrees off (low) this year.  I calibrated a cheapie aquarium thermometer and checked the temp  against that and haven't had any incubator issues since.
I'm doing a forced air because I heard they have better hatch rates. I calibrated the Meijer one and it was ridiculous. Put it in water and an ice mixture that had sat for 3 minutes and it went to something like 39, then it went up to 42 while still in the ice water LOL. Seems like all is fine now, a couple short temp spikes but not over any long periods of time, just minutes because I've got my eyes glued to the incubator. Disadvantages of poorly made home incubators LOL.

Back
Top Bottom