Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Going on vacation is always enjoyable but returning home sure feels good. We were gone for 2 weeks and regret having missed Chickenstock, but this was the only time period that we could coordinate the time schedules of the various family members. I was glad to read that everyone had a great time.

During my absence the eggs under a broody Welsummer hen started hatching. Since she was in a coop with other birds I had David move her, a tactic I have done before, but unfortunately she then refused to sit on the remaining eggs and the remaining ten eggs died with the chicks mere hours from hatching. The 2 pullets and 1 cockerel that did hatch seem to be fairing well.

In 1968 I was a drill sergeant at Fort Leonard Wood and I hadn't been back since. When 2 of my sons moved to southwest Missouri 12 years ago I amazed at how different things looked as I drove by and have often wanted to stop and visit the post. This year I decided that I would schedule time to return.

When I was stationed there route 66 was the only way of getting to what was a fairly isolated area. A two lane road led into the post and only a few bars and a pawn shop stood outside the gates. Today a it's reached by a major highway lined with hotels, restaurants, and stores. The main gate, once an entrance with one lane in and one out,is now 7 lanes and as I entered I couldn't recognize anything.

All that remains from my days are a few off the old barracks and equipment that are part of the post museum. When you discover that what had once been a pivotal portion of your life are now relics to be preserved it makes you realize just how old you have become.

Last edited:
I enjoyed meeting you and your son. No, I missed the turn and then decided I didn't want to leave the babies in a hot car. So I headed home and put them in a little pen to get some sun, gave them a shallow "pool" which they got filthy so I know they used it but they wouldn't do it in front of me. I've got them tucked away next to my 8 wk old chicks for the night.
The one thing about ducks, you can't keep a pool clean, lol.

I work there!!!
smile.png
I knew that and actually gave a look for you, but didn't see ya. I told Trefoil that would be so cool to have seen two BYCers in the same day. I do go to that TSC a few times a yr when the one in Imlay City is out of something or were in lapeer at Meijer or Home Depot. Trying to avoid it now with the construction, how long is that suppose to last?

Hi Opa, glad you had a great time with your sons. Hopefully chickenstock next year will be on a more advantageous weekend for those of us who missed it this year. Hi to Granny!

You are not old. You are experienced.

Going on vacation is always enjoyable but returning home sure feels good. We were gone for 2 weeks and regret having missed Chickenstock, but this was the only time period that we could coordinate the time schedules of the various family members. I was glad to read that everyone had a great time.

During my absence the eggs under a broody Welsummer hen started hatching. Since she was in a coop with other birds I had David move her, a tactic I have done before, but unfortunately she then refused to sit on the remaining eggs and the remaining ten eggs died with the chicks mere hours from hatching. The 2 pullets and 1 cockerel that did hatch seem to be fairing well.

In 1968 I was a drill sergeant at Fort Leonard Wood and I hadn't been back since. When 2 of my sons moved to southwest Missouri 12 years ago I amazed at how different things looked as I drove by and have often wanted to stop and visit the post. This year I decided that I would schedule time to return.

When I was stationed there route 66 was the only way of getting to what was a fairly isolated area. A two lane road led into the post and only a few bars and a pawn shop stood outside the gates. Today a it's reached by a major highway lined with hotels, restaurants, and stores. The main gate, once an entrance with one lane in and one out,is now 7 lanes and as I entered I couldn't recognize anything.

All that remains from my days are a few off the old barracks and equipment that are part of the post museum. When you discover that what had once been a pivotal portion of your life are now relics to be preserved it makes you realize just how old you have become.

Welcome back Sam, hope you had a great visit with your family!

Came home after photographing an early morning wedding and found OUR FIRST EGG!
wee.gif

The girls are only 4 months old...I feel like my wyandotte is being an overachiever. ;) Its so tiny and adorable!

First eggs are ALWAYS exciting, even after years of having chickens. We just got our first pullet egg from this years spring chicks this last weekend. Cutest little white egg from our leghorn. She is 17 weeks. :)

At 13 weeks old, Olive is an Oliver. He hasn't crowed yet, but will soon. I'm looking for a new home for him, and thought I'd ask here. We live in GR, but I'm on the road a lot, and would be happy to deliver him w/in an hour of here. Or, anywhere between here and Roscommon next week.
Oliver is a porcelain d'uccle. So far, he's a sweet fellow who loves taking naps in laps.

I think Amber's last bantam that she picked out (Silver Sebright) is a cockerel (5 weeks old). Still a little too early to tell, but likely. So we have 4 bantam pullets, and 1 bantam cockerel in our small pen. (that's the way our luck is... I should have let you pick out the Sebright too. LOL). Not sure if Oliver would fight with the Sebright if they only have 4 ladies between them. ? If you don't get any takers by the time he's crowing he can come here. I have 2 pens (one for full grown/layers, & 1 for bantams/chicks) and each pen already has 1 roo, but we could work something out. I feel bad that you picked up all the chicks and the one you kept ended up being the only boy in the batch. Let me know.

In search of a small rototiller to borrow for a day...

I'd like to till the ground in the 2 runs, but our tiller is too wide to fit through the doors. DH said he can remove a wall from the side of the runs, but that would take a lot more work than we'd like put into it.

If you have one near here that we could borrow let me know. Wayland area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We went to Irons Flea Roast & Ox Market last weekend. Bought too many raffle tickets for the "Side-by-Side"... but lost apparently cuz we never received the call. We had fun with the kids, shopped the flea market, rode carnival rides, paid 10 times too much money for slushies. It was all good. :) We stayed in my uncle's cabin in Baldwin. Man the ticks were crazy! Our dogs had their flea/tick preventative drops... and we still picked off 6 ticks from the dog & one tick off DD. Ugh. We did get to see some turkeys right outside the window in the drive. Having a cabin in the middle of the deep woods is pretty cool. Now I know seeing turkeys isn't that awesome... we see them all the time. The difference being that these kids were practically spitting distance from me. Still, not as cool as the bears & huge snakes etc... but neat just the same.

In search of a small rototiller to borrow for a day...

I'd like to till the ground in the 2 runs, but our tiller is too wide to fit through the doors. DH said he can remove a wall from the side of the runs, but that would take a lot more work than we'd like put into it.

I can't help you on the borrowing front, but there may be an equipment rental co in your area that would have one. It usually isn't too much to rent that sort of thing for a day or 2.

@jimmywalt
, I'm so sorry you had to give up your flock.  What a nice connection to know that at least one of your birds has been placed and will be very well loved.
@tori8780
, I'm sorry.  If it's done, I wish you comfort.  If not, I wish you peace in action.

Thanks Amy

My wife and I are taking it a lot harder than our 4 year old. It was just so much fun watching them grow up and get their eggs every day. Each one of them had a different personality. There were a couple that always pushed to the front when they could tell we were going to pick them up and pet them.

Crazy, I know............

No it is not. Pets are pets, and chickens are much smarter and affectionate than they get credit for. Some more than others. I wish you had given a shout out on byc first, than you could have placed them...but do not feel silly for how you feel.

Back
Top Bottom