Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

No one answered on the serama page so..can anyone tell me if this is ok

Hi. My name is Susan and currently I live in Tucson, AZ. I am originally from MI, (Shiawassee County) and I will be moving back in the near future. I have a couple of questions for anyone in that area. Are there any towns that allow chickens within city limits? Does anyone know the zoning rules for Vernon Township? Any help is greatly appreciated!

No one answered on the serama page so..can anyone tell me if this is ok
Could be i'm dense, but I don't see what you're asking about.

Hi. My name is Susan and currently I live in Tucson, AZ. I am originally from MI, (Shiawassee County) and I will be moving back in the near future. I have a couple of questions for anyone in that area. Are there any towns that allow chickens within city limits? Does anyone know the zoning rules for Vernon Township? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Your best bet would be to call or write the city management that you're interested in and ask them about ordinances concerning chickens.

On a side note, MDARD is changing/creating some crazy GAAMP for the keeping of bees. Once again, it is not based on sound science but rather more on scare tactics and misinformation designed repress the small scale farm operation.
Does the small farm association (?) have a lawyer that could write them a letter explaining to GAAMP that much of the discontent with their changes are due to the fact that they aren't in compliance with the latest scientific information on the viability of small urban farms, while also suggesting that because they are basing rules on heresay rather than science that they aren't going to be upholdable in court?

Whatever you do, don't have Chickens in Garden City. The way some of the fascist there operate, you could be locked up if you didn't cook your chicken sandwich all the way through.
wink.png

Hi.  My name is Susan and currently I live in Tucson, AZ.  I am originally from MI, (Shiawassee County) and I will be moving back in the near future.  I have a couple of questions for anyone in that area.  Are there any towns that allow chickens within city limits?  Does anyone know the zoning rules for Vernon Township?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sorry,
Its still early...
Welcome!
In Ottawa County there is a township, Allendale twp. And they allow up to 4 chickens on ANY property. No size limit, any zoning. If you purchase in a subdivision with an association, then the association likely has rules against keeping animals, but check before you buy.
I'm not familiar with Vernon Township. Usually if you call, they should be able to tell you.
Good luck, and welcome back to the cold, cold state of Michigan!

Back
Top Bottom