Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have a question, does anyone in SE Michigan know where I can give away a rooster? I have a 6 1/2 month old that is very territorial and I can't handle him any longer. Thanks

With all of this cold weather, he would make a nice chicken soup!

Hi. My name is Susan and currently I live in Tucson, AZ. I am originally from MI, (Shiawassee County) and I will be moving back in the near future. I have a couple of questions for anyone in that area. Are there any towns that allow chickens within city limits? Does anyone know the zoning rules for Vernon Township? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hi Susan, Welcome. I'm about 3 towns away and each time I head that way I always see chickens roaming around in yards, but not right in town.
I think your best bet is to call and like they say: don't give out your name.
hide.gif

Welcome to the new folks! Best to move to a township, not within city limits anywhere. Check about zoning first for sure. I've been trying to coordinate the sunshine, camera, and my time, to get photos of my birds, and failed so far. I've got a nice Blue Laced red Wyandotte (maybe splash?) hatched April, who needs to move, and a porcelain Belgian d'Uccle cockrel the same age, ditto. I'm near Perry, and work in Novi. PM me if interested. They are both nice birds, hatchery, not SQ, but too nice for the crock pot! Mary

Welcome to the new folks! Best to move to a township, not within city limits anywhere. Check about zoning first for sure. I've been trying to coordinate the sunshine, camera, and my time, to get photos of my birds, and failed so far. I've got a nice Blue Laced red Wyandotte (maybe splash?) hatched April, who needs to move, and a porcelain Belgian d'Uccle cockrel the same age, ditto. I'm near Perry, and work in Novi. PM me if interested. They are both nice birds, hatchery, not SQ, but too nice for the crock pot! Mary
Not necessarily true.......Kalamazoo city allows, township does not.
I've heard a couple others like that too....it all depends on who governs the local oridinances.
Always boils down to individuals human nature rather than logic and justice.

I am in the same pickle. I finally got the unofficial ok from my credit union to buy a home last week- but finding a home that allows chickens but not in the boon-docks is hard. I like country, but heating and commute is a consideration!

FYI i told my friend about midwest propane and this year she finally checked if out. They meter and fill monthly vs tank fills- which means never out and no all-at-once bills. I believe her budget plan is $150 a month year round vs over $400 a month last winter!!!!

Off topic but since there have been a string of cases in mi chickens not responding to antibiotics ( my roo included) if you have one i would strongly suggest "sulfadimethoxine" saved mine and even in this bitter cold it has not re-emerged! Yay! It works against cocci, too. The vet had given a type of amoxiccilan and it was not effective, tylan 50 and tetracycline, garlic had also failed.

(I know-yes i took my bird to the vet. No i do not regret it!) Mine are pets, come when called and like picked up and held. They are actually nicer than the cat! I asked myself if i could live with myself if he died because he didn't have dr care and i would have bought a new coat or something when i could have made do or bought used. The answer was *no*. He is irreplacable and the hope for my breeding program. Money comes and goes and i have been poor long enough i can be poor a little longer. OT came available not long after and i couldn't help but feel it was meant to be. :)

FYI i told my friend about midwest propane and this year she finally checked if out. They meter and fill monthly vs tank fills- which means never out and no all-at-once bills. I believe her budget plan is $150 a month year round vs over $400 a month last winter!!!!
ww.teammidwest.com/products-services/midwest-propane/rates-other-charges/
Is this the one you're talking about?

Ah, yes township logic (or the lack of) where some townships rezone large Ag farms to residential, and do not allow the keeping of ONE chicken on hundreds up to thousands of acres now zoned RESIDENTIAL!
One might argue that its for the possibility of developing. But nobody is or plans to develop the land I'm speaking of...

Back
Top Bottom