Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

One of the biggest issues in medicine is multi-drug resistant strains of bacteria. These have come about due to the over and incorrect use of antibiotics. Using serial antibiotics in the same patient is one way of developing resistant strains. Since bacteria can pass their drug resistance on to other (unrelated) bacteria that are around them, even if the infection you are treating is not a human pathogen, you may be selecting for resistance in bacteria that may be an issue for you and your family as well.

To help reduce the risk of drug resistance:

Do not use antibiotics unless there is a clear need for them - in some cases, such as where there has been a treatment failure, the medication should be based on a culture and sensitivity of the bacteria present. Remember that antibiotics are NOT effective against viruses, and some bacterial infections have a very limited number of abios that will work. Using ineffective ones just enhances antibiotic resistance.

Antibiotics are non-specific in their action, and will kill beneficial bacteria the same as pathogens. This leaves an opening for pathogens that have not been killed off by the antibiotic to flourish without competition.

Always use the correct dose based on weight (don't just estimate), the correct interval (once/twice/three times daily) and for the minimum amount of time (10 days for most antibiotics). Skipping doses or stopping too soon just means you kill only the most susceptible bacteria, and leave resistant ones to thrive.

Since it is not (currently) illegal to use antibiotics on food animals, use them with great caution (if at all) to avoid putting yourself and your loved ones at risk.

:welcome
To all the newcomers.

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have a question, does anyone in SE Michigan know where I can give away a rooster? I have a 6 1/2 month old that is very territorial and I can't handle him any longer. Thanks

Post a pic. If he's a "good rooster", someone may adopt him. I've had 3 of mine adopted by BYCers & are now with great families...my one roo that became a jerk...he went to camp...

So glad many of you had great luck filling your freezers...and good luck over the next week!
Very happy our freezer is full, even though this is the first year I haven't gotten anything. And I probably won't cuz I'm a total wuss in the cold & won't go out & sit (which is why I enjoy bow season).

@RaZ
So sorry about your uncle. Your mom is funny! Glad you had your backup for court.

I am not finding the powdered sugar particularly pretty this year. We have our first coating (about 4.5"). But, not gonna complain when I see what the lake effect snow is doing to some folks here in Michigan, and the, OMG amount they are getting NY.

and I responded, sorry I was offline last night
sad.png
dang throttled internet slowing me down.

Just a reminder that MDARD is taking public comments in writing up to December 12, 2014 regarding proposed changes to the 2015 GAAMPs.
Under the animal care GAAMP, they are looking a ways to make bee keeping much more difficult and expensive.

There is also a public meeting on December 9, 2014 to voice your concerns directly. They had one in early 2014 for the 2014 changes that effectively stripped the rights from urban and suburban farmers to raise livestock. There were no commissioners in attendance only a bureaucrat who acted as a moderator.

The GAAMPs public input meeting will be held at 9 a.m. on Dec. 12 in the Lake Superior Conference Room at the State of Michigan Library and Historical Center located at 702 West Kalamazoo Street, Lansing, Michigan.

https://www.michfb.com/MI/Farm_News/GAAMPs_comment_period_meeting_set/

NOTE: MFB, MTA and big ag PACs are actively lobbying to take away your right to raise your own food on your own property.

Yup, Allendale is home of the GVSU Lakers, and back yard chickens! As far as I know, its the most chicken friendly township around the area. If a person owns 5 acres or more they are considered a farm, and regardless of zoning, can operate their farm with unlimited animals as long as it complies with GAAMPS.
My guess is that because they are so farm friendly as well as other reasons, population is booming, and residents are happy! Beautiful schools, enormous community support, and an overall nice place to live... More areas should think this way! When I contacted the township about their ordinance, they explained that "we work for the residents, and this is what the residents want" cool, huh?
Unlike GC, right Raz... They need to get a clue!!!
Cool!! Maybe I'll have to stop by the next time I'm up there in Laker land. Not sure of that because of the lack of Playoff football this year for the Lakers. Grumble, Grumble, Grumble.

Aww @preciouskitty that just leaves more time for the chickens, right? Maybe next year.

The totals in Buffalo are astounding, aren't they?
They are ridiculous!!

Just a reminder that MDARD is taking public comments in writing up to December 12, 2014 regarding proposed changes to the 2015 GAAMPs.
Under the animal care GAAMP, they are looking a ways to make bee keeping much more difficult and expensive.

There is also a public meeting on December 9, 2014 to voice your concerns directly. They had one in early 2014 for the 2014 changes that effectively stripped the rights from urban and suburban farmers to raise livestock. There were no commissioners in attendance only a bureaucrat who acted as a moderator.

The GAAMPs public input meeting will be held at 9 a.m. on Dec. 12 in the Lake Superior Conference Room at the State of Michigan Library and Historical Center located at 702 West Kalamazoo Street, Lansing, Michigan.

https://www.michfb.com/MI/Farm_News/GAAMPs_comment_period_meeting_set/

NOTE: MFB, MTA and big ag PACs are actively lobbying to take away your right to raise your own food on your own property.
Posted on my feed. Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom