Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Coldest night yet here in the ice box of the nation.temp at airport and my thermometer says -33:(
sad.png
sad.png

wow last I looked we only had -10 stay warm every one

Coldest night yet here in the ice box of the nation.temp at airport and my thermometer says -33:(
sad.png
sad.png
Where are you located myfarm?

Low was -12F at about 6am near Paw Paw....going up slowly now.
Broody and chicks came out for wet mash then back in the nest!

Is it crazy to be giddy about a high of 18 today and 33 tomorrow?!?

Last edited:
-24 this morning without the wind chill. -35 expected in Bradford PA where my son and his family live.

The airport near me was at -22 a few hours ago. My house is always 5 degrees colder..so prob around -27. The temp started going up, -10, now just dipped back to -16.

Went out to open the coop door & take fresh water about 30 mins ago. Birds all fine, but man taking a breath was sure hard on me! Could tell which birds had slept with their heads tucked beneath their wing; little bits of frost on their feathers from their breath!!

Have the wood burner cranking..and about 30 layers of clothes on. Think I'll bake today, that helps warm things up in the house ;)

Hope everyone is doing ok, heat wave today...high of 13 and, low of +10!!!!!!!

And, :welcome to all the newcomers!

@Opa
Glad you got the new computer & still sending good healing vibes & prayers your way..

Last edited:
A great chick hatching resource in the Learning Center - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Thanks for the reminder. I actually read that a couple of years ago. Anyway, I re-read the article and it did reminded me about a couple of things I had forgot about. One of the things It reminded me about was to get a new thermometer because I was using the one that came with the incubator years ago. So I got on Amazon last week and ordered a digital Thermometer made for incubators that check the temp, humidity etc.. Anyway the new thermometer is telling me I have been running my incubator a little on the cold side by 3-4 degrees. This is a bad thing because I really stink at candling and I will not know if I have any chicks until hatch time.

The best money I ever spent on hatching supplies was on a Brinsea thermometer - they are very accurate and reliable, unlike just about anything you buy in the store (most thermometers have a +/- range of 2 degrees, meaning they can have as much as a 4 degrees range around the actual temperature.

Yes I know about wood burning. We have a small stove in the dining room that keeps that room and the living room toasty while the rest of the house is about 60. I also sell firewood and have had a few of my regulars contact us about the fact that they are almost out. But it's been so friggin cold I hate to be out splitting wood and my husband sure as heck doesn't want to be out there cutting it. Looking forward to the heat wave expected tomorrow 20 above 0. I'm hoping I can get my splitter started.

-24 this morning without the wind chill. -35 expected in Bradford PA where my son and his family live.
My brother reported his truck saying -26 this morning. Either way, the girls sure did dig into their hot oatmeal with sunflower seeds, mealworms, and a little bit of sausage left over from dinner last night. 2 eggs already today.

Back
Top Bottom