Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I just hatched a few chicks this past weekend. Bielefelders, jubilee Orpingtons and Tolbunt Polish. I might try a few Swedish flower hens later.

Ditto on the kind replies.

BTW, got a call from my daughter-in-law in Bradford, PA. A city main line busted due to the intense cold so the water has been shut off to everyone. Their mayor has called a state-of-emergency and canceled school for the rest of the week. She's packing the kids up and heading for Michigan this afternoon.

People heading for Michigan because of cold weather!?!

Well my 2nd hatch is done.
35 eggs, 34 was fertilized
18 hatched
The rest quite right before hatching :(

And again no silkies.
For some reason I cant get the silkie eggs to hatch.

Im still new to a bator and suck at using it. I prefer my broodies just not this time of the year. Sold most of the 1st batch and this batch I hatched for myself. Soon as hens start laying again, ill collect for the bator again for another round to sell.

This spring I have silkie eggs im buying from a lady in south Mich. Will be getting lavender, splash/paint, and porcelain. And I also have 40 pre paid calico/millie cochin eggs in MD that will be sshipped in soon as it gets warmer.
I'll use my broodies for these eggs to make sure for a good hatch. No bator mishaps for bought eggs! No way. ;)

So I got sucked into a farm and home today and they just happen to have some chicks for sale and I was in the market for some more isa browns to add to the flock and they had them straight run for 1.49 I'm sorry to say they need to change the sign on that bin because its not straight run anymore because somehow all 25 little pullets ended up in my cart...the kids were happy...and each picked and named one so we now have steak..who is green (I use food coloring to dye a bit of down so the kids can tell them apart) eggs ...who is purple the boys think they are comedians, mo who has a green head and purple belly, sally who is dark orange and blue butt who has yes a blue butt. Anyway fun day chicks are peeping in the basement and eho cares if its cold...the global warming is bound to kick in sooner or later.....
gig.gif
love the names

I just hatched a few chicks this past weekend. Bielefelders, jubilee Orpingtons and Tolbunt Polish. I might try a few Swedish flower hens later.
yay, babies!

Hello Michigan friends :frow  

I have a question to pose to you, if you will. Have any of you, particularly on the West side of the state, had issues with Mareks? 

I haven't vaccinated any of mine before, but since I am getting some new chicks from a hatchery that offers it, I was thinking I would get them done. Then I tried to make sure this didn't put my current (un-vaccinated) flock at risk, and things got tricky. From what I can tell for the most part, it shouldn't be a danger to my older girls, for one thing they are all 2 - 4 years old, and apparently the vaccination is a different (turkey) strain than what is in the environment.

But it would seem that not everyone agrees with this and some believe the vaccinated birds can shed the virus for the rest of their lives and infect others.

So I wanted to see if I could get an idea of how much risk there is around here for Mareks in the first place. Any experience on this would be appreciated, thank you. :)

(And also a big hello to the familiar faces around here, long time! All you other people just get a sidelong, suspicious glance ;)  )

I have read both sides and my conclusion is the turkey strain is safe. It is most of what is available. There is a few other ones primarily only available commercially that could get you into trouble so make sure what you get is for sure the turkey one.

Long and short i believe mareks is spreading badly. I have seen a few suspect birds at auction, and i strongly suspect a breeder in my area to have it in his flock and if so it will only get worse each year with the new sales. Blows for miles. Anyway i have even considered doing a hail mary vacc. On my breeding trio. I read older birds have already been exposed enough to develop resistance but have seen adult flocks suffer very shortly after the disease was for sure intro'd, and not having gotten it as youngsters as with it as supposed be normal. So i wonder if all adults really do have resistance.

I have read both sides and my conclusion is the turkey strain is safe. It is most of what is available. There is a few other ones primarily only available commercially that could get you into trouble so make sure what you get is for sure the turkey one.

Long and short i believe mareks is spreading badly. I have seen a few suspect birds at auction, and i strongly suspect a breeder in my area to have it in his flock and if so it will only get worse each year with the new sales. Blows for miles. Anyway i have even considered doing a hail mary vacc. On my breeding trio. I read older birds have already been exposed enough to develop resistance but have seen adult flocks suffer very shortly after the disease was for sure intro'd, and not having gotten it as youngsters as with it as supposed be normal. So i wonder if all adults really do have resistance.

Is there any kind of map of counties where mareks has spread to?

Back
Top Bottom