Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Looks like you may have still had to shovel a path for them aart. I know I did!
Oh Yeah, I keep the first 10' or so cleared(can't see that in this pic)and a path all the way down. Partly so I can navigate if roof need to be cleared, but help ground clear faster during thaws and in spring.

Hi there,

I'm looking at starting a new flock. I moved from Minnesota to the upper peninsula of Michigan (gwinn-marquette area), I'm curious as to what predators I need to worry about as I build a coop and my perimeter. I had a very large area fenced in so i wondered what i need to think about as I design my new coop in Michigan. In Minnesota we had weasels, foxes, and coyotes. Hawks were an issue but I made a neon green net to go over my run so i never had issues after that. I never figured a way to get rid of weasels so any advice is greatly appreciated it :) Are there many weasels in michigan?

Thanks!

H
Hi there,

I'm looking at starting a new flock. I moved from Minnesota to the upper peninsula of Michigan (gwinn-marquette area), I'm curious as to what predators I need to worry about as I build a coop and my perimeter. I had a very large area fenced in so i wondered what i need to think about as I design my new coop in Michigan. In Minnesota we had weasels, foxes, and coyotes. Hawks were an issue but I made a neon green net to go over my run so i never had issues after that. I never figured a way to get rid of weasels so any advice is greatly appreciated it :) Are there many weasels in michigan?

Thanks!
Hello and Welcome to the area. :) I live in the Upper Peninsula as well.. Fishers, weasels (very numerous in the U.P), mink, coyotes, fox (both red and Gray), Eagles/hawks. My biggest concern is feral cats! I use hard wire to secure the coop.

Rain yuk. Muskegon is wet! At least it's not freezing and all week looks warm. Yes, Chickenstock...we need more people! It's dwindled the last few years but always fun! Time to stand up and feed the farm

We've gotten an half inch here so far today.......was even some standing water in the semi-deep litter run after one rain burst, drained away pretty quickly tho...no flooding in garage(yet?) thank goodness!

If you want to eliminate small predators, you need to completely secure your coop. That means a solid floor, with all openings covered with hardware cloth (not just chicken wire). Weasels dig very well, and some can fit through a 2" hole. The entire pen should have hardware cloth around the perimeter, at least 2' high from the ground, buried underground as deeply as possible (1' would be great). The upper part can be chicken wire. If you use cattle panels to construct the pen it will all need to be covered with hardware cloth and chicken wire. And your pen should have a poultry netting cover. If you set it up right from the start, you will never loose a chicken to predators.

Back
Top Bottom