Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Raz, hope all your tests come back good!,
We have had cats that live indoor but go out at will, almost never use the litter box when weather is good and they go out, they do find a spot they like outside, so it could be in your garden, mine never went near the chickens or coop

It was 8 degrees out this morning, and I was pretty nervous about what I would find in the growout coop with all my chicks. The thermometer in the supply area of the coop said it got down to 20 in the building last night, and the remote sensor that pairs with it that I keep in the growout section matched that number. All of their water sources were frozen. However, I’m happy to report that all of the 34 chicks are fine, running around, and making a ton of noise. They range from 2-4 weeks old, and I’m more sold on this brooder method every day.

My frostbite bird has 2 toe tips that are hanging on by a thread, so I’m thinking they will have fallen off by Monday.

Have a great weekend everyone!

The thermometer in the supply area of the coop said it got down to 20 in the building last night, and the remote sensor that pairs with it that I keep in the growout section matched that number.
Do you have a therm under the hover?
Can you see under there to check on chicks?

Do you have a therm under the hover?
Can you see under there to check on chicks?

I had a thermometer under the hover for 3 days before I put chicks out to get an idea of what floor level temps were before I put chicks out. The coldest night it went down to 80 on the floor, so I would assume it’s a few degrees warmer up around head-level when they’re standing up. I use the camer on my phone to look under the hover, and if anything seems fishy, I get down on my hands and knees and lift up one end. It was only “supposed” to get down to 20 last night; if I hand known it would hit single digits I would have tacked some side curtains onto it to help it retain a little more heat.

The barn cats are only a little less skittish. They only get nervous if I spent too much time in the kennel with them. Like this morning when I had to change all of the bedding in both kennels.
The litter box seems to be a challenge. They pee there and poop on the towels and bury it in the folds. Good thing I have a stack of old towels for this kind of thing. It's just an extra load of laundry and disinfecting the kennel.

Caught the tom sitting on the nest. His chest is bare of feathers just like a broody hen. The hen turkey will sit the nest but they still have their breast feathers. Not really sure how turkey brood. :idunno

Spring arrives Tuesday. :thumbsup

Hi everyone! I've been busy and ignoring this thead for a while, and it hasn't come up on my 'Alerts'. Raz, I'm glad the new cats are looking good. I haven't gone there yet, but soon. If they provide a big cage, that will help, because mine will likely have chicks with a broody hen (I hope!).
I have a very cute bantam EE cockerel who needs a new home. He's an extra, and could go with an EE hen too. They are very nice birds. Pictures later!
The snow is melting, and tomorrow is going to be really nice! Yes!!!
Mary

Hi everyone! I've been busy and ignoring this thead for a while, and it hasn't come up on my 'Alerts'. Raz, I'm glad the new cats are looking good. I haven't gone there yet, but soon. If they provide a big cage, that will help, because mine will likely have chicks with a broody hen (I hope!).
I have a very cute bantam EE cockerel who needs a new home. He's an extra, and could go with an EE hen too. They are very nice birds. Pictures later!
The snow is melting, and tomorrow is going to be really nice! Yes!!!
Mary
I could use a nice roo. An EE would be a bonus. I lost my handsome roo to the fox a few weeks ago. Since I put the fencing up and the dog chased the fox away, all has been secure. I guess the hens feel secure...I got 13 eggs from 14 hens today.

I finally TODAY have my flock split into breeding groups, so in three weeks, hatching eggs won't be mixed breeds. It's later than planned, but never mind. There will hopefully be EE bantams, Belgian d'Uccle millie fleurs, and Chanteclers. Hopefully. Three weeks separated, then a week or so collecting eggs, and then three weeks to hatch. A very long time!
Pictures taken today, not very good, but something; IMG_0915.JPG IMG_0919.JPG The EE bantam boy, and one of the pullets. Cute aqua blue eggs!
IMG_0913.JPG white Chanteclers.
IMG_0922.JPG Belgian d'Uccles.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom