Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Let’s play a fun game called “larvae or worms”. I was cleaning the poop board off in my layer coop (it’s been 3 weeks because we are so busy right now and I found this in one section of the droppings. Not in all of it, just in about a 1ftx1ft spot. And I’m completely grossed out.
I'm sorry for interrupting in your thread. I got a notice about suspected tapeworm segments and had to check it out.
Those are not tapeworm segments. They are some type of larva, probably maggots from flies.
I'm glad you're not dealing with tapeworms. :D

Hope everyone had a happy Mothers' Day.

I spent most of the day at the farm knocking out a few little projects that mom has wanted done for a while. I was going to tack up some shingles on the front part of the barn that didn't get the metal roofing installed on it back in january. It was just too far out of mom's budget at the time to do that as well as our main problem areas of the main barn and back addition. But it was wet and I'm going to assume to be slick up there so me and my brother opted to hang up some new light fixtures out in the back aisleway of the barn. Went with some LED ones and they are really brighten up the area.

Also took the time to put a new latch on the arena gate that has had what we figure to be at least 25+ years of abuse from various horses pushing on the gate. Got a lot of stuff done and would have liked to have gotten some mowing in, but still too wet for all of that today. And I grilled up some steaks and cooked some sweet corn for dinner for everyone.

Thank goodness! I really didn’t want to be dealing with tapeworms.

Super busy weekend (as they all seem to be lately.) batting practice with summer league players, heart worm test at a low cost clinic for the dogs, I started priming the north wall of the coop, we got the fence and netting for the run up. Just need to add the apron and I’ll feel comfortable leaving birds out when I’m at work.

Dh and the kids got me a fishing kayak for mother’s day, we cleaned out the green house and propped up the caved in section of the arch. Then it was off to the local nursery and we got a few tomato plants and some broccoli for the garden. Dh got all excited about blueberry plants and ended up making a second trip for bushes and fencing supplies.

I hope everyone else had a great weekend!

Thanks for all the support guys, I knew I was in good company!

My brother and I who are 3 miles away from mom, had planned on having a year or two, based on what mom said she wanted to do, and then without including us, she and my sister (who lives 4 hrs away) went off and picked out a house (she insists its a condo). Now my brother and I have to bust our humps to clean everything out, work FT jobs, care for our own responsibilities (we both farm). I'm upset that she excluded my brother and I, who have been doing all the work, from taking part in this decision.. especially when it will affect us most. I knew we were going to have to do this and she was going to need to move at some point. I just didn't like the underhanded sneaky BS. She refuses to hire a moving co. my husband just had spine surgery and my back is not that great either... but we have to move her. And on top of that she feels she can say some mean insulting things on top of it all, especially when my husband called her out on excluding my brother an I, it wasn't a fun day yesterday.

Hope everyone had a happy mothers day.

OyVey, Silly!
Hang in there.

Mothers day was/is always a mix of sweet, bittersweet, and some just plain bitter.
Am glad it's over for another year.

Silly, that is too bad. But if you were my best friend, I would say no you do not have to move her. Especially since it might put your husband's health at risk. Tell her you will come help the movers, but you will not do the moving yourself. Or you could tell her maybe your sister from 4 hours away will come and do it.

I'm potentially meeting someone who is getting goslings from me tomorrow. They found my CL advert, and mentioned being active here. Trying to connect the dots. So... who's getting geese from me tomorrow? :)

Odd. I didn't get any notices that there were new posts here.
Anywho...
Happy that the worms/larvae are not tapeworms.
Silly, I've been through that and can sympathize. I'd like to say that it gets better but :idunno

On a positive note, I think that my Mom's house is sold. The closing is set for Wednesday and I hope nothing goes wonky. That house has been a nightmare to deal with.

On another positive note, the electrical problems that happened after the power outage last week have been resolved. I have power back in the living room and the exterior lights. As a bonus, the contractor is going to set up my garage and make sure it is up to code. I'll be able to do some of the work to help keep the cost down. So double bonus.

Still working on the new coop. Well not so much lately, but at least the materials are staged for when I get done in the city. I need an extra pair of hands to help and I'll get them after I roto-til a garden for the neighbor.

Same deal with the garage build. A little labour exchange for another pair of hands. That and a beer supply. :D

The barn cat I adopted is fitting in real well. But I think he wants to be a house cat. He prefers to stay inside and sleep with me and/or the Golden Retriever. He has only been outside twice and comes in at dark. Rotten cat!

All in all, things are great here. I'm looking forward to Chicken Stock.

Raz, I'm glad things are going well!
Silly. I agree that it would be best to help your mom as you can, but not overdo. Have her get movers, or offer to help find a good company, and offer to be there when they arrive. So sorry you are dealing with this!
Today I let the almost six week old chicks outside for the first time, with the adults. All went well, so tomorrow they will be out longer, on their way to integrating with the big birds.
The bantam babies are growing in the garage brooder, and will be about ready to move to the 'chick corner' of the coop when the older chicks are blended into the flock. Lotsa babies! Some will be at CS.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom