Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

@Sally PB...you might want to take a visit to Family Farm & Home on Plainfield. You mentioned you ordered chicks so this may not be appropriate. They are getting some really pretty breeds in that are tempting me. Not sure if Blue Austras are on the list but there are some that I didnt think Townline carried.

I have 5 girls now and everybody is getting eggs as a gift these days! The dumpster guy stopped to replace the full one today and even he got eggs!! My outdoor run is large enough for 13 total and I wouldn’t mind getting 4 more just to keep the flock evolving. My girls are so content and I’m worried about upsetting that harmony. I love the space they have and they seem so happy. I dont want to selfishly add more, but im working from home until the fall best case scenario, so they would be coop ready by fall.

really would love anyone to weigh in with their experiences.

I sure will. Had ac on last night. Need to be in 65 to sleep good!
I’m thinking about doing the same thing tonight. It’s 75 degrees in my house and it is tight as a drum which I guess will be great come summer time when I need it to be cool.
Do you people not open your windows?
It was nice and cool out last night, had to pull up the quilt.
My bed is right under a window.

That's where I got my last dog. All 3 were 'rescued' but only one from SPCA.

My outdoor run is large enough for 13 total
But is your coop?
I section off part of coop to brood and integrate early.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/
This group went out yesterday, they're 1-2wo.
1617967485052.png

Thanks for thinking of me, @Mfranks!

I've already ordered chicks from Chick Depot in Gladwin, MI. A friend of mine used to work for Family Farm and Home doing ordering and receiving. She said she thought they got their chicks from Townline, or at least had when she worked there two years ago.

Another friend of mine said I remind her of a "woman with baby fever" the way I am so chick oriented right now. :gig

I want to have enough eggs to give/sell! That's part of the reason I want more chicks. A couple of my neighbors have said they'd buy from me.

The next door neighbor said she can go through a dozen eggs A DAY with her family. (Her parents live two doors down, and often her mom is cooking for 7 people, 4 adults and 3 boys. She's the lady I mentioned who had 100 tomato plants and canned 150 quarts.) I figure it's probably a good thing that she get her own chickens to have her own eggs. I don't want THAT many chickens...

We plan to add on the coop and enlarge the run this spring. I want happy birds. Going by the 4/10 rule, I could add 4, but had to order 5, minimum. My plan for the brooder in the coop, when they get to that age, will have a plywood top, so the big birds won't lose square footage. I may just leave that there, as another level for more floor space. I plan to integrate at 4-5 weeks, depending on the temps. That will be any time in July.

There is always the possibility not all 5 will make it, or that one will be a cockerel (I ordered pullets). I still want to enlarge the coop and run, regardless.

@Sally PB...you might want to take a visit to Family Farm & Home on Plainfield. You mentioned you ordered chicks so this may not be appropriate. They are getting some really pretty breeds in that are tempting me. Not sure if Blue Austras are on the list but there are some that I didnt think Townline carried.

I have 5 girls now and everybody is getting eggs as a gift these days! The dumpster guy stopped to replace the full one today and even he got eggs!! My outdoor run is large enough for 13 total and I wouldn’t mind getting 4 more just to keep the flock evolving. My girls are so content and I’m worried about upsetting that harmony. I love the space they have and they seem so happy. I dont want to selfishly add more, but im working from home until the fall best case scenario, so they would be coop ready by fall.

really would love anyone to weigh in with their experiences.
I went to the one on Whitehall and saw a few little ones kind of blueish or grayish fur. I cannot get more until I get the parrots out of the room. Now they all try to fly out and step on my hand every time I bring them a snack. Except the one with green legs. She is not fond of me at all.

Do you people not open your windows?
It was nice and cool out last night,
My bed is by the window. You must live right by the lake to get those cooler winds. I do not. And remember that I am not from Michigan. Many people in here they get cold at 70 and at work, they were always complaining in the winter months. In the past six and half years that I have been in Michigan had not worn a heavy coat yet. Well, I am a hot blooded person, I guess. I had shovel snow from back porch on flip-flops, :lau Of course, I keep getting older but so far I like to sleep on the cooler side so I can curl up with my blanket. I also have to have a fan blowing towards my face. If I feel warm air, it chokes me. It is tank top time in the 50's during the day and light sweater at night.

Good morning! I am finally caught up here. It is still raining outside. :barnie

Am I ever going to continue with the coop? Only God knows. The girls are doing fine and they are due for their 6wk photoshoot today.
In the meantime, remember I mentioned about the trees with an odd like berry? Well, some of those are still on the dry bushes. Here is a close up pictures.
frontline.jpg
unk1.jpg
unk2.jpg

Odd that there are still some there after this winter. I shoveled more snow that ever before. Maybe because I have a bigger driveway, :eek: If anyone has any idea of what these are and if they are harmful to animals, I would appreciate it. I am cutting part down because they are too tall but if they are harmful, they will be gone before the summer is over. (will there be a summer?).

Well, I am going to check on the outside and if it is not raining, I will see what kind of damage I can make. I think the wood is too wet for cutting and would not take an electric tool out in the rain. I am not ready to be electrocuted, :fl

Back
Top Bottom